Computer stopped powering up...

corder13

Solid State Member
Ok, here's how everything took place:

I went to work Saturday morning at 7:30 am. When I left, the computer was on, and was working perfectly fine. My wife said that she came out around 12:30 pm and noticed the computer was shut off (this isn't too out of the ordinary, since we have 3 kids running around). She turned the computer on with no problems, did what she had to do, and left (computer was still on). At about 2:45 pm, I arrived back home. I noticed the computer was off, and asked my wife if she had turned it off. She said she hadn't, but told me about the incident earlier. The power light on the front of the case was still green, like it was still on, so I wiggled the mouse, but got nothing. I tried hitting the power button, then the reset button. Neither did any good. So I checked the power strip, which was still on. Then I turned the I/O switch off and back on, and tried the power again, with no change. Next, I turned the switch off again, pulled the plug, replaced it, and turn the switch back on. Tried the power button after that, and still nothing. The only change was the light went out, and still hasn't come back on.

I started messing with it again today, and noticed that every once in awhile, the PS fan and both of the main cooling fans will turn over for about a 1/2 second, then stop (while I'm continuously pressing the power button). I've done a visual check of the inside of the computer and there is nothing out of place that I can see. The computer doesn't smell burnt anywhere at all. There was a little dust inside, but not that much at all (I got most of it out). The capacitors didn't look bulged or anything. The computer was built in late February or early March by the guy I bought it from. I bought it in late March, so it's only a couple of months old. The PS, however, was manufactured in either 10/05 or 11/05 (can't tell which one for sure, as the checkmark crosses both boxes).

In case they're needed, here are the specs:

ASRock P4i65g motherboard
1024 megabytes RAM
2.8 GB P4 processor
160 GB HDD w/cooling fan
480W Kyoto Power Supply
NVidia GeForce 4400 Graphics Card

If there's anyone who can help me figure this out (without tearing everything down, as I'm not THAT good with computers...LOL), I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick

Try unplugging it and taking out the CMOS battery. this has helped me solve some weird problems ive had. You can google for some tutorials.

You just mean the battery on the motherboard? That is the only one, right?

Rick

Yea, thats the one.
But if no fans spin, then its probally your power supply.
Does the power supply fan spin on power up?

Yeah, but just for about a 1/2 second, then it quits, and it's intermittent. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll spin 1/2 second one time out of 15 times of hitting the power button.

Rick

Ok, I tried removing the battery and putting it back in. No change. When I plugged the computer back in the fan spun again for the 1/2 second, but nothing after that.

Any ideas on a good wattage rating for a replacement power supply?

Rick

an average is like 400 watts. I'm actualy quite impressed that you knew to look closely at teh capacitors. thats not something many people know about.

try unplugging everythig you can (hard drive, CD/DVD drives, and any PCI card that you can. If you have on-board video that is not disabled in bios, take out any add-on video card you have) If you still do not get power running with only this, then the problem is either the powersuplly (mostly likely cause) or the motherboard. I highly doubt ram as the fans would stay spinning if it was just a RAM issue.

Thanks. I'll check all that out in the morning. I'm just now heading to bed, but I'll update this tomorrow. I'll also see if I can find a power supply to test out on this.

Rick

If its only a few months old then get the guy who built it to repair it. Definately sounds like the PSU, so get the guy to replace it for you.

Back
Top Bottom