Harddrive Low Space?

have you tried this thing?

go to start, my computer, local disk properties, click on tools then click defragmentaition.
That should restore some space, how old is your computer?
Defragmentation doesnt restore space, it puts your file pieces in order.

but my files (pictures, music etc.) are located in my folder which is on my desktop. The file path for that stuff comes from (I think) documents and settings. I moved that from my C-drive to my D-drive ad deleted as much as I could from the documents and settings from my C-Drive. I don't get it. Why isn't there just one drive?

One is set for your main use, while the other is set for restoring. If you ever need to reinstall Windows, you would need to boot from the other partition.

They really should inplant a CD recovery. It's restraining space that can be used.

Think of it this way: you have a cake. You cut the cake into slices and eat them all.
Thats basically what HDD partitions are: divisions in the HDD. SO there's only one actual HDD, but several partitions

Oh, and on the subject of hard disks, can someone recommend me one to use as a slave? Needs to be ATA-133, IDE, 3.5" preferably 72,000 RPM

Thanks

One is set for your main use, while the other is set for restoring. If you ever need to reinstall Windows, you would need to boot from the other partition.

They really should inplant a CD recovery. It's restraining space that can be used.

actually that isn't the restore drive for the acer laptops, I really don't know why they cut the drive in half like that but every acer we sell comes partitioned like that, and if you go to manage there is actually a third partition that handles the recovery that is only a couple gigs.

camelia - it's like that because that's the way the manufacturer sets up all their laptops. it's actually a good thing to keep everything there, then if you need to do a restore you won't lose your data because the restore writes to the c drive and not the d.

Back
Top Bottom