Partitioning/booting question

elpea117

Baseband Member
i partitioned my hardrive into two partitions one with windows and one with mepis linux, and when i start up it starts the GRUB program and gives me the option to start mepis or start a memory test, no option to start windows, and i cant figure out how to boot windows. Someone help please.

when tring to get to safe mode, you have to press the f8 key reapeatedly right after your computer logo dissapears, then scroll up to safe mode.

i partitioned my hardrive into two partitions one with windows and one with mepis linux, and when i start up it starts the GRUB program and gives me the option to start mepis or start a memory test, no option to start windows, and i cant figure out how to boot windows. Someone help please.

It starts with the GRUB program because you told mepis linux too. Meaning, when you configured it. You do not need 'a boot loader' to dual boot your system. At least not with these distros, slackware 9.1, suse 9.0, redhat 9 mandrake 8.1 with windows xp pro you don't.

Also, install windows first on one partition, after its installed install

linux on the other partition. I think YOUR problem is something to do with the "MBR" or "first boot partiton" options when installing linux. just by what you're describing. I've never played with mepis linux but I have messed with suse,slackware,redhat, mandrake which all gave the option.

can you access safe mode options?

again, he cant figure out how to boot to windows he probably cannot access safe mode. ;)

Back
Top Bottom