Question about recycling computer parts/peripherals.

ravi2253

Beta member
Hey everyone, this is my first post :cool: how you all doing?

Anyway, I live in the UK and my local Tesco have recently started adding recycling facilities. Basically, there is a big box called 'Insert plastic and metal objects here' in return for Clubcard (loyalty) points.

I just wanted to know if I could recycle computer peripherals (some cables I have) and a DVD-rewriter drive. They are made of both plastic and metal... so I am assuming they can be recycled? (The DVD rewriter drive is broken by the way).

Any help / advice on the issue would be appreciated! I don't really want to chuck it in the bin!

Cheers,
Ravi.

welcome , like freestyler said prolly best off asking there but i cant see why not cos as you said they are metal and plastic although because they are waste electricals they are subject to the rules of the weee (waste electrical and electronic equipment ) and so tesco would have to pay for disposal of thees objects , if no look in your local telephone book and see if there are any computer demanufacturing companies in your local areas , i know their is one in cambridge called campridge computer recycling and they basically take old computers and take out what can be sold and pay to have the rest disposed off

yep and that is what the Weee is all about , you could dispose bare computer cases ok cos they are just metal but it is all about the circuit boards and batteries etc cos they damage the environment when buried in landfill sites

Thanks for the suggestions and warm welcomes, people. I'll ask someone in-store next time I go. Also, I'm not sure about what muz379 said -- 'tesco would have to pay for the disposal of thees objects' -- because it's a recycling area; they'd probably just turn it into something else. I'm just afraid that by putting in computer equipment I'd mess up the whole system or something...

no because it is waste electricals they would have to be processed differently cosa they are waste elctricals although it is good you are thinking about no messing the system up cos most people would just throw it in anyway

saying that though tesco let you dispose of mobile phones i just asked my mum cos i was sure she was going to take one there and you can take mobile phones to tesco and they give you points so they might let you get rid of old computer junk their , never actually thought about weather you can put waste computer goods in the recycling system but i was just reading about weee at the time cos i got a free return envelope in my ink cartridge and it said something about keeping in line with the new eu ruling on waste electricals so i thioought i might check it out , if you do go let us know what they say it would be interesting to see the soloution to this

Yeah, sounds good. I'll get back to you on the verdict when I go to Tesco again. Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom