New RAM Problems

ssc456

Fully Optimized
right a friend of mine upgraded his RAM last week from 512Mb to 2GB ddr pc3200 i cant remember what processor he has buts its an AMD somethign running at 1800Mhz (maybe 2GB is a bit much)

anyway he replace the RAM fine no problems to start off with but since then he has bin on his computer and has told me he has not noticed n e difference at all in performance now i know he has got too much RAM for his processor but surely he should still be noticing the difference especially on the startup (he has like 20 things on startup of msconfig) but he claims its no different, now another friend of his told him that there is a way to tell your computer how much RAM to use ???? i have not heard about this could there be away to do that ???

so problem 2 since he has had the new RAM not only has he not noticed n e performance increase when he runs nero to burn a DVD he always find it freezes during converting and never finishes.

i have to say on my new build with 2 Gb RAM and C2D i have had the same problem with nero so....

id be greatful of n e help thanks

1: I think your friend was saying how much it uses not able to control it, If you go to computer info you can see how much Phisical RAM is bieng used at a time.
2 I thinks the RAM he put in was not seated right, go to coputer information and see if It registers taht the RAM is even In it. I updated once and Had 4 RAM slots one was not seated correctly so It ran the same, pugged it back in
and it worked just fine.

I run 2big of RAM with my processor and its fine, his should have no problems, maybe if you posted the mobo make/model and ram make/model we would be to help more.

right ill have to ring him later for the motherboard make i know the RAM is 2 X 1 GB Corsair stick of ddr pc3200 and they are seared right when i right click my computer and click properties it says 2 Gb and the bios recognizes it aswell

as far as the motherboard goes until i ring him later all i can remember is its an Asrock Combo board its AMD and has a socket 754 and 939 but u can only use one cpu at a time the 754 socket has 2 slots for RAM the 939 has 3 but im using the socket 754 so no complications there

and thats it till i get more details

what u mean by slow the RAM down i cud prob c wot u ment if i had the bios infront of me but i gotta give him instructions in simple terms so

There should be RAM timings in the BIOS settings somewhere, so he could slow it down slightly there. Has he ran memtest on the RAM?

nope not ran memtest yet are you suggesting its faulty RAM ? i hope not he has already sent 1 set back coz it wouldnt boot into windows something bout bad randon access address

Back
Top Bottom