Viacom legal action against youtube

why can't MTV be like Adult Swim? i have yet to see adult swim even blink at the fact that every single robot chicken made is on that site. I too see it as free advertising.

whats the big deal anyway. mtv arnt losing anything. its free advertising imo. all this bs about copyright it stupid in cases like this

No, because to watch MTV you have to pay for dish or cable..So if its on youtube, thats taking money away from both MTV, and the tv service providers...

whats the big deal anyway. mtv arnt losing anything. its free advertising imo. all this bs about copyright it stupid in cases like this

money. thats all law suits are about. "let me sue the shit out of this company because the coffee was too hot, then people will see the point"

just idiotic people with more time and money then know what to do with.

Yeah, but that means they're not liable for it. It's all on whoever uploaded the content.

No, the peoplee who uploaded the content are liable as wel, but it's you tube who are hosting the copy righted content.

that like saying that if I owned a site that was full of copyrighted material, if someone said hang about you can be posting our articles/pitures as if they are your own and making money from them. could I just say that someone else uploaded that content?

the DCMA means that companies can send cease and decist letters to google/youtube and unser the safe harbour provision you tube can avoid prosecution by removing offending content immediatly...
but if they don't then they are liable to be sued.

the trouble is that ther are so many people uploading copyrighted stuff that Viacom would literally have to pay people to be on you tube each and every day just searching for stuff that it their copyright material.

the whole case seems to center around the fact that it's unreasonably to expect viacom to scour you tube for the copyrighted clips, and instead it should be google/youtube that is taking some corperate responsibility for the service it offers.

No, because to watch MTV you have to pay for dish or cable..So if its on youtube, thats taking money away from both MTV, and the tv service providers...
True, but (here anyway) MTV is included with the most basic packages, and since most people have cable or satellite TV, they have MTV anyway. I know they make money off commercials, but not everyone is going to watch stuff online, looks better on TV anyway.

They're still (potentially) losing, I know, but I just mean it's not like the entire audience will resort to online viewing. I don't know if MTV participates in this or not, but particularly with Rogers Cable here in Atlantic Canada there are on demand channels and shows, so with certain channels people can usually watch what they want whenever they want, without the restriction of waiting until 9 or whatever.

Root said:
No, the peoplee who uploaded the content are liable as wel, but it's you tube who are hosting the copy righted content.

that like saying that if I owned a site that was full of copyrighted material, if someone said hang about you can be posting our articles/pitures as if they are your own and making money from them. could I just say that someone else uploaded that content?
True.

Back
Top Bottom