AMD to release Socket AM3 next year!

Ð88

Fully Optimized
http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+45nm+DDR3+and+Socket+AM3+in+2008/article7132.htm

- Socket AM3
- DDR3 Memory support
- 45nm

Even before AMD's 65nm K10 architecture hits store shelves, the company is talking about the 45nm shrink

This summer, AMD will announce its first major architecture change since the introduction of the K8 architecture in 2003. This new architecture, dubbed K10, will first make an appearance in the server space, with the introduction of the Barcelona-family processors.

K10 features a native quad-core design that incorporates shared-L3 cache, HyperTransport-3 support and backwards functionality with AM2 motherboards. However, the original K10 desktop and server processors will debut on the 65nm architecture -- a process AMD only started mastering in December 2006 with the launch of the Brisbane desktop CPU family.

In the second half of 2008, AMD will begin to migrate its K10 architecture to the 45nm node. AMD explicitly mentions that its 45nm process technology utilizes silicon-on-insulator (SOI). Intel's 45nm process node, slated for introduction later this year, uses conventional CMOS process technology.

The halo AMD 45nm chip, Deneb FX, shares the same functionality as its 65nm counterpart, Agena. Both families incorporate native quad-core designs and shared-L3 cache support. Deneb FX goes one step further, adding support for DDR3 on the integrated memory controller.

However, the bulk of AMD's 45nm quad-core offerings will come with the Deneb (non-FX) family. AMD suggests Deneb will be the first processor on the new AM3 socket. Previous AMD documentation indicated that AM2 and AM3 would be forward/backward compatible -- yet AMD engineers claim the AM3 alluded to in 2006 is not the same AM3 referenced in the 2008 launch schedule.

"At the time AM3 was the likely candidate to become AM2+," claimed one field application engineer familiar with AMD's socket migration. "[AMD] wanted to keep the socket name associated with DDR2 memory and backwards compatibility, but AM3 emphasizes DDR3 support."

After Deneb, and closer to 2009, AMD's guidance states that 45nm Propus and Regor will replace the 65nm Kuma and Rana mid-range products. Propus is very similar to Deneb: 45nm, shared L3 cache, AM3 package. However, Propus will only feature two cores. Regor is identical to Propus, but will not include shared-L3 cache support.

AMD's low-end single core Athlon 64 and Sempron appear consolidated with the introduction of the Sargas family. Sargas is an optical shrink of the 65nm Spica core, with the addition of DDR3 support and AM3 packaging. AMD's ultra-low end Sparta-family, slated for introduction this year to replace the Manila-family Semprons, has no successor.

AMD product managers are keeping details of their 45nm technology close. However, this past January AMD and IBM jointly announced plans for high-k, metal gate transistors on future 45nm and 32nm processors.

This past February, AMD senior vice president of technology development Douglas Grose claimed the company is still anticipating whether or not it will use high-k metal gate technology in later 45nm revisions or if the company will wait until 32nm.

Intel also announced its intention to debut high-k, metal gate technology on its 45nm node, but the company went one step further to confirm this new transistor technique will appear on the Penryn processor. Intel guidance suggests Penryn will see its first retail availability late this year -- at least a year before Deneb.

Marty Seyer, AMD senior vice president, recently disclosed AMD's 45nm server offering slated for release in 2008. Seyer stated that Shanghai, the 45nm successor to Barcelona, would feature additional cache and other performance enhancements.

Seyer or Grose would not comment on what these performance enhancements, though features from AMD's server products typically appear on the desktop components as well.

It's nice to see AMD working on striking back against intel. However, its kinda sad to see that everytime they make a new kind of processor they make a new socket. One reason to love intel.

It would be nice if they could get it to be forward/backwords compatible with the AM2, but something tells me it won't work out.

It's nice to see AMD working on striking back against intel. However, its kinda sad to see that everytime they make a new kind of processor they make a new socket. One reason to love intel.

It would be nice if they could get it to be forward/backwords compatible with the AM2, but something tells me it won't work out.

That's true, but Nehalem will most likely be switching from LGA775, it's a completely new architecture for AMD and Intel so in that regard, change is good.

Nehalem??? sorry don't quite know what that is. However from what i heard from an intel rep (could be outdated since this was in feb) was that we could expect 16 core to be released to the 775 on FSB's of 1333 which some motherboards are capible of handling. Just not all the cores.

Back to topic a little bit. You do have a point about the different architecture. If the change is going to be as great as it sounds like it will be, the AM2 socket would probally bottle neck the proc.

Nehalem??? sorry don't quite know what that is. However from what i heard from an intel rep (could be outdated since this was in feb) was that we could expect 16 core to be released to the 775 on FSB's of 1333 which some motherboards are capible of handling. Just not all the cores.

Back to topic a little bit. You do have a point about the different architecture. If the change is going to be as great as it sounds like it will be, the AM2 socket would probally bottle neck the proc.

Oh, I wasn't aware of your little tidbit about the 16 core being released for LGA775, nehalem is a brand new architecture from Intel, which will succeed Penryn. Nehalem will also be using the 45nm process and will be featuring 8 cores. It's expected to be released late 2008.

8 cores...if they can get the heat output on them low enough. It has to be lower than Core 2 Duo for sure. Too much leakage through the gates. Thats why Intel is developing new materials to use in their gates. Anyway...that tidbit you saw about 16 cores is a 4 way quad core system. So 4 sockets all connected by a 1333Mhz FSB. The FSB is going to be so bottlenecked. Its like merging a 10 lane freeway into a 4 lane freeway in less that a mile.

It's about time. So AM3 is scheduled for 2008. I can wait. I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews on how well they perform. I'm mainly curious about this:

In the second half of 2008, AMD will begin to migrate its K10 architecture to the 45nm node. AMD explicitly mentions that its 45nm process technology utilizes silicon-on-insulator (SOI). Intel's 45nm process node, slated for introduction later this year, uses conventional CMOS process technology. I believe this will make a huge difference in CPU performance. Also the use of the new transistor technology with the new high-k metal gates for future CPUs.

Back
Top Bottom