Two things

Status
Not open for further replies.
The server is not stressed in any way, cpu and memory are fine. The CF DB is ~420MB and is fully indexed so no problems them.
I meant in terms of row size...

there is over a half million posts, does this meant that the threads table has a half million rows in it.

if you actually log into the server use SQL query and type a simple query how long does it actually take to return this data? and what about more complex queries?

fair enough the site may be fully indexed, but does that actually help in this siteuation, (http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/06/09/why-mysql-could-be-slow-with-large-tables/)

and what of the databases for other sites that are always on as well.
how many rows do all these other sites take up?
and what of the free forums that are also hosted on the same server?

you're running handfuls of sites of a server that just doesn't seem up to the job,
alternatively,
what's the traffic like coming to the sites? (as in all the sites running on the same server, not just this site).

whats the Apache configuration like, like how many active connections can you process, what's the keep alive time, what's Maxclients set to, is this too low for the amount of traffic that you receive?

The point is that there is something wrong somewhere and ideally it does need to be fixed.

just hopping to a new server isn't really going to help I doubt, but you do need to look at what is going on with these things. consider more possibilities...

TBH I doubt that it's the new forum software that's causing these troubles

Like I said, it looks like the PHP scripting. I don't know much about those languages, but it looks like PHP.

I meant in terms of row size...

there is over a half million posts, does this meant that the threads table has a half million rows in it.

if you actually log into the server use SQL query and type a simple query how long does it actually take to return this data? and what about more complex queries?

fair enough the site may be fully indexed, but does that actually help in this siteuation, (http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/06/09/why-mysql-could-be-slow-with-large-tables/)

and what of the databases for other sites that are always on as well.
how many rows do all these other sites take up?
and what of the free forums that are also hosted on the same server?

you're running handfuls of sites of a server that just doesn't seem up to the job,
alternatively,
what's the traffic like coming to the sites? (as in all the sites running on the same server, not just this site).

whats the Apache configuration like, like how many active connections can you process, what's the keep alive time, what's Maxclients set to, is this too low for the amount of traffic that you receive?

The point is that there is something wrong somewhere and ideally it does need to be fixed.

just hopping to a new server isn't really going to help I doubt, but you do need to look at what is going on with these things. consider more possibilities...

TBH I doubt that it's the new forum software that's causing these troubles

Its something to do with the configuration of the various components, it just takes me time to work through them tweaking here and there

Guys, give David a rest. With all the possibilities of what could be wrong, if I owned the forum now, I would definitely be frustrated (considering I know nothing about PHP/MySQL).

So what if we don't get 10,000 skins or custom avatars? (I know it would be nice, but) at least David tries to keep everything stable.

Three database errors this morning so far, the glitches are alive & well & are doing fine!, oh & everything has slowed down again.

The problems plagueing this forum are definitely annoying. Most times I just give up and try the next day

The problems plagueing this forum are definitely annoying. Most times I just give up and try the next day
If you're talking about database errors, is that what you mean?, they are occurring everywhere, not just here, David is trying to eliminate them.

I've been getting them more and more everyday even the white screen thing now and again.

Well it went down today because I was trying a few different settings. I tried using persistant connections so each user maintains the db connection while they are logged on instead of creating a connection each time they view a page and then discard it. But ofcourse a search engine bot appear and put the number of connections over the limit so new visitors were denied access

Well it went down today because I was trying a few different settings. I tried using persistant connections so each user maintains the db connection while they are logged on instead of creating a connection each time they view a page and then discard it. But ofcourse a search engine bot appear and put the number of connections over the limit so new visitors were denied access
Mmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom