HDD not being detected by MOBO

capc

Beta member
Hi, I had just finished installing 2 new sticks of ram. They seemed to have worked, but after I had added them my HDD can't be detected. When I try to start up I get a "Disk Boot Failure" where it asks to insert my system disk and press enter. I looked in the BIOS, and also my HDD can't be detected through their either. The HDD is one that came with my HP, and uses a SATA cable, I tried unpluging it and chaning ports and it dosn't help at all. Help is greaty appreciated.

did you knock off a power supply connector or SATA cable connector in the process of installing the RAM? is the HDD recognized when the new RAM is taken out?

Well I'm using SATA, so I don't need to plug a power cord into it. I have removed and replaced both ends of the SATA cable. I havn't tried chaning the RAM back yet, I'll try that now.

Last time I checked all my SATA drives, they all needed a power cable. You should double check yours to make sure it's plugged in.

Now that's just odd. There should be a set of contacts right next to the SATA cable contacts for the power connector.

Ok, you were right. It was really dark in my computer so I was feeling around. And it felt like the plastic was just molded a certain way, but it was a power slot. So the bios detected my HDD, and I start up my computer fine. However, after the windows logo comes up with the loading bar the screen turns black and stays that way. The computer stays on.

Um.. for the power supply cord, did you plug it into the 4 pin connector or the longer square-ish socket, sorry I can't be clearer, dunno what that slot is called lol.

I used one that was a longer rectangle one, there isn't a slot for a 4 pin. It seems like theres a shape of one, but a piece of plastic is covering it up.

I used one that was a longer rectangle one, there isn't a slot for a 4 pin. It seems like theres a shape of one, but a piece of plastic is covering it up.

Ah, k, well that's the right slot.. hmm you say it freezes up at the boot screen? does the hard drive work on any other computers, maybe you need a reformat.. hopefully not.

Back
Top Bottom