is mixing ok?

reodan92

Baseband Member
well my uncle just bought me a 2 gb ram set (1gb and another 1gb ) and its a brand that im unknown with and has a 5-5-5-12 catency(something like that) and my mobo has a dual ddr2 thingy, so i was wondering can i add my uncles set with my set?

so if im hearing correctly im being told that it will go in my mobo without messing it up but it wont read all 4 of em and just 2 of em,right?

It will see all 4 sticks.

He was saying that they wont run in dual channel mode. Which is no biggie, you wont see much performance difference between dual channel and single channel modes anyway.

Depending on the motherboard, 4 sticks of memory will run in dual channel. Just need to check your motherboard manual to make sure.

It will see all 4 sticks.

He was saying that they wont run in dual channel mode. Which is no biggie, you wont see much performance difference between dual channel and single channel modes anyway.

Depending on the motherboard, 4 sticks of memory will run in dual channel. Just need to check your motherboard manual to make sure.

Yep, thanks for clarifying my above statement for me :D, sorry if I confused at all, the four sticks will work fine, and your system should read 4 GB, though windows XP can't effectively use that much memory, now if you have Vista, that's a different scenario.

though windows XP can't effectively use that much memory, now if you have Vista, that's a different scenario.
You can use the /3gb switch inside xp to make it see more RAM, it will only work with programs that are written to make use of this tho.

Back
Top Bottom