Has anyone ever wondered..

I have my own DNS server but you have to pay to get the domain registered in the central database and get nameservers setup to point the domain name -> your dns server -> web server

Ah right, so how much does that cost..

So, is there any way, right now for me to set up domains and re-direct them to certain IP's? I have got Windows 2003 Server which you can run a DNS server, I just never got it :)

To elaborate on what david said,

there are what are called Root DNS servers, these are the ones that hold all the records, everything else propagates from these.

those servers know the SOA (start of authority) for your domain name and update from there...

for example on my website I host it from home.

I have a no-ip setup...

as far as everyone else is concerned the root DNS server is the SOA for my site, if your DNS server doesn't know it'll ask another until it get to one of the root servers,

the root servers think that 1&1's server is my SOA.
1&1's server checks with no-ip to find out what my IP address is.
no-ip checks with my DNS client to find out what my server is.

I have a DNS server set up on my own site, so I can make google point to 127.0.0.1 if I wanted to, then everything that checks with my DNS server will receive that address as googles IP address.
there are only three machines, (all in my house) that check with my DNS server.

if I could convince the rest of the world that I was the authority root server for DNS then I could set up any site pointing to any address I wanted.

but I can't
cause there are already big players in there with big machines already serving that information and getting paid big money to do that.

there are 13 root servers in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_nameserver

There used to be a time a few years ago (1999) when I remember Netzero being free. In fact, I used it for a while. All you had to do was keep a small advertising banner on your screen at all times. It was decently fast too.

And there were others that were doing that too, the catch was that they mostly had access numbers in or around large cities, so if you lived out in the sticks, you couldn't get it, or you had to pay long distance charges for every minute you were connected.

So yeah, there was a time where you could get a free connection to the internet.

Ah right, so how much does that cost..

So, is there any way, right now for me to set up domains and re-direct them to certain IP's? I have got Windows 2003 Server which you can run a DNS server, I just never got it :)
As far as I know, you can register domains and redirect them to IPs or DNS servers. For example, one of my domains goes to a nameserver at wordpress.com and the other at hostgator.

Back
Top Bottom