Has anyone ever wondered..

joxley1990

Golden Master
Ok right, if no-one owns the internet, then how to companies sell domains like they do?

I don't get it.. never understood it, how do they register those domains, and sell them, is there any way for me to get a free domain seeing as how I have a web server at home?

Who Owns the Internet?

No one actually owns the Internet, and no single person or organization controls the Internet in its entirety. More of a concept than an actual tangible entity, the Internet relies on a physical infrastructure that connects networks to other networks. There are many organizations, corporations, governments, schools, private citizens and service providers that all own pieces of the infrastructure, but there is no one body that owns it all. There are, however, organizations that oversee and standardize what happens on the Internet and assign IP addresses and domain names, such as the National Science Foundation, the Internet Engineering Task Force, ICANN, InterNIC and the Internet Architecture Board.

From Webopedia :p

EDIT: some more stuff :p

The internet itself, though, works because a bunch of very large companies have a lot of cable laid down, and they all have peering agreements. These basically say "I'll let your traffic over my wires if you let my traffic over your wires." Those large companies form the backbone of the net. From that, 2nd & 3rd level companies will branch out, combine service from 1st level companies, etc, and this will eventually go to the ISPs that you usually use (sometimes a single company will provide multiple steps, although there were originally moves to block this).

"the world wide web," which - as mentioned above - is run by ICANN.

ICANN manages domain names & IP addresses. They license who can handle domain registries/etc.

The same way that the internet is free, and yet we get charged for access to it (I know technically were charged for how we access it, but still)

The same way that the internet is free, and yet we get charged for access to it (I know technically were charged for how we access it, but still)

yep...technically you can never access the internet for "free", you pay your ISP like comcast...or at&t or whatever phone/cable company to give you your connection. and even if you were to build your own connection somehow you would be paying more on other stuff like electricity to do it :p

i guess the saying "there's no free lunch" is true lol

Very few things are free these day's,
what this free dial up thing, do they actually give it u for free? I saw it for some ISP's on there websites. Allthough it would be a waist of time for 95% of ppl on this forum.

Very few things are free these day's,
what this free dial up thing, do they actually give it u for free? I saw it for some ISP's on there websites. Allthough it would be a waist of time for 95% of ppl on this forum.
How would it be a waste of time? :confused:

I'm on dialup and pages of this forum load in a second or two, others very quickly too and I can play online games with hardly any lag.

How would it be a waste of time? :confused:

I'm on dialup and pages of this forum load in a second or two, others very quickly too and I can play online games with hardly any lag.
you can play online games on dial up with no lag :eek: .. i get a lag sometimes on 2mb lol.

anyway steffs post is good. +1

Back
Top Bottom