Getting a new processor. 939 only.

cory551

Baseband Member
Well, I am looking for the best buy for a 939 processor. The thing is, I want to get one for abour $160-$200ish. AMD or intel, just the fastest and best for the money, what do you all suggest?

do u have xp? cus its really hard to find 939's. if u want to upgrade u should get a new mobo and processor and upgrade to vista.

Intel doesn't make socket 939 processors.

and what will you be using it for?

I have decided to upgrade my motherboard and get a AM2 socket, so, I plan on buying an AMD dual core, not sure which one yet. What's the best AMD for under $200? Also, I have never completely built a PC before, ive done almost everything except for processors, so, I was wondering how hard they are to install and if it requires doing anything in the bios...

If you want the best out of your money ur gonna want:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103036
also buy a nice cooler as well, if you do you can Over clock this guy all the way to 3.0ghz equivalent to the 5600+.
I second that decision if you're going the AM2 route and plan on overclocking. However, I don't really think there's a whole lot to gain going from 939 to AM2, aside from DDR2 RAM. I can't really tell a difference between my brother's AM2 rig (with an X2 4600 @ ~2.8GHz) and mine except in multi-threaded applications, but 939 has dual-cores as well.

I personally think you'll be fine getting an Opteron 165/170 (assuming you OC it) and sticking with the 939 rig, unless you plan on doing more upgrades to your RAM/CPU before AM2 is phased out. Just my 2 cents.

I second that decision if you're going the AM2 route and plan on overclocking. However, I don't really think there's a whole lot to gain going from 939 to AM2, aside from DDR2 RAM. I can't really tell a difference between my brother's AM2 rig (with an X2 4600 @ ~2.8GHz) and mine except in multi-threaded applications, but 939 has dual-cores as well.

I personally think you'll be fine getting an Opteron 165/170 (assuming you OC it) and sticking with the 939 rig, unless you plan on doing more upgrades to your RAM/CPU before AM2 is phased out. Just my 2 cents.

I second his opinion about skt 939, if you want to stick with AMD brand CPUs, I'd hold off the upgrade and wait for Barcelona to come out, at which time you'll be able to pick from Agena or Kuma lines of processors, which are supposed to top Core2Duo quite easily.

Back
Top Bottom