New AM2 Build! Need advice

TheBurninator

In Runtime
Hey,

I'm looking to upgrade from an AMD 754 chipset, but upgrading to AM2 requires me to upgrade pretty much everything else.

The motherboard purchased is a abit KN9 SLI

I currently have in my system:
MSI K8N Platinum skt 754 mobo (replaced by the above)
Athlon 64 3300+ 2.4Ghz (to be replaced with AM2 Athlon 3800 X2 or up)
2 sticks of DDR400 ram 768mb total (to be replaced with ddr2 800)
Verto GeForce 6200 128mb (to be replaced by 6800 or another late-series card)
400w PSU (to be replaced by 500w with pci-e and sata)
350w PSU (running fans, to be replaced)
2 DVD-RW/CD-RW drives (staying)
Seagate 160GB SATA HDD (staying)
ExtremeEngine 3T Case (staying)
Logitech X530 5.1 sound system (definately staying)

I'm going to be taking pics of the tear-down and build when I get the parts.

I just need advice of where I should purchase the parts, especially with a budget of about 350 or less.

Corey

I'm not sure why you're going with AM2, but if you're more comfortable with AMD that's fine..
How much RAM are you getting, you didn't specify the amount, 2GB would be preferable atm
Get a 7600GT if you really want to be conservative on the GPU, the 6800 gets crushed by that card in both price and performance
If you decide to change CPUs get an E6400 and LGA775 ASUS P5B board or something similar.

i agree with kchi55 except if u do any type of gaming id recomend the geforce 7800 great card
and also i would deff change prossesors to intel core 2 duo cheeper and faster
but if u feel better with amd thats fine

Wait, is 350 the cost of all the parts you plan on replacing? In that case, I withdraw my comment about C2D, a low end AM2 X2 would suit your budget better.

Yeah, I'm more of an AMD fanboy, intel is all about bigger and faster processors, not efficiency and customer service these days. Otherwise I would. I'm probably gonna buy THEpiGUY's 7800GT next week, so hopefully I can add some pics of that and such. I'm hoping for atleast 2GB of ram, it doesn have 4 slots, so maybe 4x 512mb would be good.

Corey

Back
Top Bottom