Torrents make you internet slow?

PuNkY

In Runtime
I haven't downloaded a torrent in awhile. Ive been noticing my internet going REALLY slow since I started the download. Heres my speed tests.

Torrent not downloading:
119012007.png

Torrent downloading
119012568.png

I use BitComet. Anyone else have the same problem?

EDIT: Sorry for the double thread. Downloading the torrent so internet is sluggish.

Yeah some torrents can really drag you're internet down, especially if you have more than one PC on the network. It depends on the torrent, the more seeds/peers there are, the slower it usually makes you're internet browsing.

If it is seriously slow, in Bitcomet, I would limit the download/upload speed to just under you're Internet's max (for example if you download usually at 155kb/s, put the max download rate to say, 140kb/s)

To do this, open up BitComet, click on Options>Preferences and you should see Max Global Download Rate and Max Global Upload Rate, set them accordingly.

Matt

well of course it makes the internet slower because it's being used!
There is a limit how fast the internet connection can download, and when you have a torrent downloading obviously it's using a part of that limit, therefore leaving less available speed to other programs.

AS mammikoura said, the torrent does use bandwidth (well, duh!), so as a concequence, the internet will seem slower.

Personally, I don't use the 'net while torrenting; I leave the PC on overnight to download, stop the torrent in the morning, and resume normal surfing!

im downloading a series of peep show now. its 1.2gb (i think) and its going over 100kb/s (i have a 2mb connection). i havent noticed any slowdown but sometimes it can get real sluggish, just depends what im downloading and how many torrents i have. im using utorrent btw

It will also be slow if your downloading several files at once, using a download manager. Same goes for limewire.

I never really noticed my internet slowing down while downloading anything until last night.:confused:

I need to pay more attention.

Torrents suck up your bandwidth more than anything since you're uploading and downloading at the same time, that's why your internet gets sluggish, it happens to everyone.

You can cap your download and upload speeds in your torrent client so that it doesn't slow your internet surfing down that much if you don't have that much bandwidth to spare. I do that on my uploads.

yeah torrents do slow down your computer big time. when i play online games i don't even realize it but my ping goes to like 356 :p

Back
Top Bottom