Not Booting

ssc456

Fully Optimized
hi,

my sis wanted a cheap computer for just running basic internet and word etc so i looked on ebay and found

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-Compaq-EVO...262QQihZ020QQcategoryZ179QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

so.. during the wait for delivery i installed xp on my spare hard drive ready for it when it came no problems there. when it was delivered i took it apart plugged my hard drive in and a bios type screen came up saying new IDE device dedected press f1 to save settings so i pressed f1 the computer restarted flashed the bios screen and then it stops on a black screen with a small _ in the top left corner like its waiting to boot from cd or not detecting a hard drive. this computer does not have a cd drive but has a funny looking connection that looks like its ment for a laptop cd drive but wen i tried to connect my laptop drive to it the connection is slightly too big ??

i then tried my hard drive out of my desktop pc which did exactly the same thing.

so i am stuck at the black screen with small _ white cursor in the top left corner ??? n e ideas whats wrong

sorry for poor gramma,

thanks in advanced

The reason it ain't booting is probably because of different drivers, you will need to format and install the os with the hard drive on the new computer.

but the new compuoter only has one IDE cable slot on the mobo and only 1 power cable for a drive eg hard drive cd drive etc

You can get a master slave IDE cable so you can have a HD and Optical drive.
You can also get a splitter for the power connector.

But yea, you gonna have to install XP while the drive is hooked to the new MB, so windows knows what drivers to install.

hi i believe i have a master slave ide cable and i used a power supply from my other desktop and i booted it up and it found the cd drive but cud not find the hard drive ?

right i dont know how i got it to boot but i did it boots from cd with hardrive powered from a second pc it copys the necessary file and reboots and half way through the install it says

'the software you are installing for this hardware:
intel(r) 82801DB/DBM usb universal gost controller -24C7

has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with windows xp.

then it roughly says continue and maybe unstable or stop installation completely

if i click yes it continues for bout 1 min then the same thing pops up but this time it freezes the install the keyboard does not work or mouse ??

the keyboard and mouse are usb there are no ps2 ports ?

so thats as far as i can get n e ideas

hi ppl,

just thought id let u know i sorted it the problem was my xp disk it was a disk i was using to try boot from usb harddrive which had modified usb.ini files etc so thanks every but i sorted it

Back
Top Bottom