Just wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You talk shite. You don't get "allotted a different IP" every time you sign up, your IP is assigned by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), and this may or may not be static.

Most ISP's will reassign you an IP every time you power down your modem or reconnect your router (or computer if you don't have a router). It's extremely rare for a residential ISP to use static IP's as well.

Most ISP's will reassign you an IP every time you power down your modem or reconnect your router (or computer if you don't have a router). It's extremely rare for a residential ISP to use static IP's as well.
You're a Network Technician, so as you have experience in this area, is UK right or wrong?

generally UK isp's assign either static or semi static addresses to residential people, that is to say that just restarting your router/computer is very unlikely to give you a new IP address.

this is true on broadband at least.

dial-up still sometimes works with the older style completely dynamic IP address.

so what DJ-chris said holds some truth, but also could not be true.

test it...

go to www.whatismyip.com make a note, restart your router and go back there, you'll most likely find it's the same address.

You're kind of both right

Every time he re-registers he can easily get "reallocated a new IP", as turning off modem, reestablishing your connection or waiting 24 hours will provide you with a new IP on 99% of residential services. You (Brookefield) have the general idea of how this works, however it's possible that someone could come back with the same IP again and again.

generally UK isp's assign either static or semi static addresses to residential people, that is to say that just restarting your router/computer is very unlikely to give you a new IP address.

this is true on broadband at least.

dial-up still sometimes works with the older style completely dynamic IP address.

so what DJ-chris said holds some truth, but also could not be true.

test it...

go to www.whatismyip.com make a note, restart your router and go back there, you'll most likely find it's the same address.
Around here nothing is truly static. I know that if you leave your broadband disconnected from your modem or whatever the IP will change after a while, and dialup definitely changes the last three digits or so every time you reconnect.

For overall douchebaggery

Hahaha, right on the money. I remember someone posted a screenshot with like every thread on the page he had the latest post. I usually go through and read a majority of the post and by the time I finish I'm already not the latest post. It's insane.

Anyway about the IP thing, I believe you have to have your modem or router powered down for a minute or so to get a new IP. If you just restart your router you will be given the same IP. So, if he wanted to, he could pull the power of his modem for about a minute.

Brooke, are all of the IP's around the same area or are they completely scattered?

Let me explain, in the banned members list that mods can access there are several variations, all obviously derived from furby, so it is pretty obvious that they are the same guy, not getting back because he was wrongly PB'd, we'd have looked into that, but, I believe he is a numero uno mischief maker, not because he uses obscene language, he doesn't, but that he actually enjoys being an irritant [it takes all sorts]
You'll probably ask why we can't just ban his IP, we can't because each time he registers he's allotted a different IP

Other contributors to this thread please note.

ok brookfield do you 100% conclusive evidence that all thoose other banned people are the same member , No well then i would stop throwing acusations around like that unless you have conclusive evidence , i could just as easily say that you are one of thoose banned members yet i would prolly get banned if a started throwing acusations like that around so if i where you i would consider what you are saying before you click the submit reply button
ive been here long enough to know that some people just didnt want him on here so he got banned his posts werent rude or offensive ok some of them might of been unhelpful but hasnt everyone made unhelpful posts from time to time.
my proof is this if he posted that he had such and such number of posts he would of got banned but anyone else can type any kind of stuff they like without getting banned it's a mild kind of bullying and when he got banned the first time when he got back after his ban all the people that disliked him were hounded around him waiting for him to slip up.
it's out of order totally.

Matt
yep some mods are just hypocritical , fo instance how can you ban one member for posting spam posts yet a certain mod here posts threads about wow i got a new car wow i got 7K posts yet esentially they are spam . I am not saying people shouldne post them threads i am saying people should stop victimising one member for posting them type of posts , i am not saying every post by furby is perfect but as someone said before nobody posts 100% helpfull posts , what matters is that the posts are meaningfull not just lol or ha and yeah when he first joined furby posted them but now i have seen a big improovment , god how do some members here cope in the real world , do they expect that if a person makes one mistake that is it game over you get killed i think not but i have seen here a member makes a mistake , they are improoving but people are still getting on his back , i say lay off hime , guide him help him point out that he has made a post out of line dont just go thats it permenant ban , i just hope that when he returns people give him a chance
You talk shite. You don't get "allotted a different IP" every time you sign up, your IP is assigned by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), and this may or may not be static.

Anyway, back in my days in Moderator Ivory Towers, I do seem to remember a Mr Rainbow and Mr Lindon both saying IPs are not to be used as a method of identifying potential duplicate accounts due to the ambiguity involved. This, I believe, Mr Lindon was intending to incorporate into the unwritten moderator rule book.

Other contributors to this thread please note. What exactly? That you know absolutely nothing about what you're talking about, and that you're talking abject bollocks? Oh, we noted that ages ago.

another great posts wish i could give you rep but it says i have to spread it around yeah sure the language is off , oh wait i see no mods getting on his back for bad language yet if it was fury he would be banned for a month :rolleyes:

but yeah brookfield has no proof for what he says so i think he should not be posting acusations like that bang out of order
OK... Furby123 will be back in a matter of hours...

if you don't like him, I suggest that you all just try to accept him.

if any one bullies and harasses him then I'll give then a short term ban. (not a warning or a threat -it's a promise).

we have a thread in the suggestions section about how we can get more people to join this community, well numero uno idea would be to actually accept new members, regardless of their age, and don't hound them...

to be perfectly honest if I came to this forum and that was the first thing I saw about how new members were treated then I wouldn't be inclined to stay around too much either...

it's somewhere in the rules that if you actually think that you are a good long standing member then you should act like that... that involves not harassing newbie members.

so far as the multiple accounts thing goes... the jury is still out, mostly because I don't really think that any investigation has been mounted in earnest. but there are a lot of accounts from the same IP pool that have very similar names as Brookfield said.

will that ban go for moderators i think not still it should in my opinion but i totally agree anyone uneceserily (SP) getting on his back should take some time out , sure if he makes an out of line post let hime know by either posting and telling him or PM'ing him i mean like root says we have a thread on how to keep members here yet here is a prime example of a member being driven awway

anyway there is my two cents worth as a last note i think people should try and help him improve he wants to be around here yet some people are pushing him away constantly on his back guide him along , after a while he will be ok posting as he should but if you are banning him for unhelpfull posts dont you need to ban nearly if not all the members here including mods

before nobody posts 100% helpfull posts
I used to, but then I started posting in the social lounge. (it was a moth or so after joining that I finally ventured in to this part!).

will that ban go for moderators i think not
it should, but mods can't ban other mods,

Another great post, wish i could give you rep but it says i have to spread it around yeah sure the language is off , oh wait i see no mods getting on his back for bad language yet if it was fury he would be banned for a month :rolleyes:
His language is off?, thats nothing, in February of this year he called me a f*cking sad old b*st*rd, is that bad enough for you???, I must say I had full sympathetic support from David all the mods, & quite a lot of members when they knew what he had posted.....still want to give him a pos rep?

* To members who joined recently, please note the above fact about UK31337.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom