Format gone horibly wrong

I think you may need to purchase XP again, stick with XP i prefer it to vista. vista= waste of money.

Do you still have the original OS installation disk from your computer? Could you try using that instead of the backups? When it asks for the serial number, enter the one from your brother's computer. I don't know if Gateway does this, but Dell does. They will put a sticker on the computer with the serial number on it.

I made a bootdisk on my memory stick and it wont boot from the momory stick even when I put removable devices on #1 for boot. and I also inserted a 98 disk and it won't boot from cd either.

what else can I possibly try??

lord of the vie, I have xp home on the gateway recovery and a win98 cd.

Default the bios. Then change the boot order to what ever device you are going to use. A cd or floppy would be the one I would use. USB has a nasty habit of not wanting to boot up right away.
But it would appear to be a compatibilty issue. What brand name and model is your brother's laptop? Mine has PCI-E so any other older recovery would not work. Might be the issue in this case.

is there anyway I can take control of the other harddrive using my other laptop?

Back
Top Bottom