HDD “Status Bad” !!! Please Help !!!

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

Every time I start my computer I am prompted to a page that I never seen before. The name is “American Megatrends” www.ami.com and its telling me something like “Mask hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. (status Bad), Backup and replace. Press F1 to resume.

When I press F1 it's just continues with the load, nothing seems wrong….it started happening right after I experienced a virus problem with my computer, and had to restart computer manually once or twice. Here is the link to the Virus thread that I also made. (dont know if its helpfull)

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=54798

Did my hdd get corrupted? How can I find out for sure..? is there a program that I can use to fix it?

By the way I am rinning 2X 400GB SATA2 16MB cache RAID 0 (800G Total)-

Please help, Thanks

Thank you, i guess its the only option i have right now, i will give it a try.

SMART is just a way of testing your drive at boot up, its supposed to give you an early warning that your drives on its way out. Do what mammikoura said, and you may wanna back up the drve as a precaution.

someone told me i have to clock my systen back to normal if i want to do the proppper check, how true is that? coz i dont know how to clock :D Also, coz i have a raid set up, do i need to make any kind of adjustmenst...WOW i just really hope i can fix this, 2X 400G in a raid, so if one hdd goes bad i loose both...great $500 down the drain!

someone told me i have to clock my systen back to normal if i want to do the proppper check, how true is that? coz i dont know how to clock :D Also, coz i have a raid set up, do i need to make any kind of adjustmenst...WOW i just really hope i can fix this, 2X 400G in a raid, so if one hdd goes bad i loose both...great $500 down the drain!

Replace your drive NOW. Theirs a good 80% chance it will fail within a few months.

Replace your drive NOW. Theirs a good 80% chance it will fail within a few months.

That's not really helpful man...I mean I have 2hdd I don't even know which one to replace, I guess ill do the scan when I get home maybe that will help. I'm just no ready to throw away $500 + I have all the data backed up already

That's not really helpful man...I mean I have 2hdd I don't even know which one to replace, I guess ill do the scan when I get home maybe that will help. I'm just no ready to throw away $500 + I have all the data backed up already

If you run a SMART utility like HDTune it will tell you the problem with the drive and which one it is.

Yes, PC Check 6 can help you too. you can get it from the good ol' non-mentionable sites. It can scan for smart errors, as well as test reading and writing. If you do get it, DO NOT RUN THE DESTRUCTIVE WRITE TEST! it will destroy the data on your hard drive.

Just as a side note, i've seen im-proper formats and things of that nature cause smart errors when everything else tests ok. Simply doing a full format and reinstall the OS got rid of it. Keep in mind all partitions would need to be deleted to ensure proper results. Not saying that this is guarenteed to be the solution to your problem, but smart isn't always right.

Back
Top Bottom