Will RoR takeover?

eapro

In Runtime
I've started learning Ruby with a book and I already LOVE it. I think it will be bigger than PHP and Java soon. How many agree?

i don't know.

it's still new, and whilst it might seem great, you have to assume that as it grows in ability etc so will PHP... TBH, I can't see PHP disapearing any time soon,

PHP is loosing market share, but IIRC it is still the most used web language.

Well, php maybe, but you're going to have to convince all of those php lovers out there that ruby is better. Also, it's not going to bother java. Part of the problem being, that java is not just a server side langugage like ruby is, therefore it has more functionality and flexability. Not to mention the fact that I don't really see that many advantages to using ruby.

I think the web programming makert will soon become a battle betwwen microsofts ASP.NET (which i use and i have no regrets, it is amazing compared to everything else) and Javas JSP pages and maybe PHP if they change the language to make the language a bit easier and make some better IDE's (this may mean becomeing less open source about things and become more commercial)

Also the problems with everything other than JAVA or .NET is that you would only be able to programme web pages, but with java and .net you could make Form applications, web services, console apps (pretty much anything you want).

.NET is the better of them all, ut the only problem with it is that you are stuck to windows for the time being (mono still isnt good enough but it is catching on now). .NET is the better framework for everything too, it is faster, the languages ar a lot better, the IDE is easy to use, and also if you program as a team with many languages, it is all interoperable as .NET is basically MSIL code. Also .NET is a lot faster when ran, a lot faster than JAVA, and is also comparable to PHP (yes i kno php is faster for websites with lowend web servers).

Java and PHP and ROR being close second but they lack the advanced features which .NET has, (It is pretty hard programming a website in PHP compared to JAVA and C# (C# is my preferred language in the .NET superset)), but they are both cross platform (java is a little bit slow though on windows and linux(SUN Solaris is not linux))

Also the problem with RUBY and PHP is that they cannot be ran as server side web services (this is a lot better than the traditonal method of web server and DB server).

In my opinion (as an C++, C# and VB6 programmer) i think that ASP.NET will shine more than the rest, as microsoft have made a great all round effort on it to make it a very good framework (it cannot be called a language), and that .NET has all of the features , unlike PHP or ruby on rails, (or java in some cases).

Anyway watch this space as only time will tell what can happen with such an changing world.

lol we were supposed to be talking about PHP and ruby but i just expressed my opinion on the ever changin internet :D

I have to disagree with you on a lot of those points. You can run web services using JSP, PHP, Coldfusion, and even ruby. .NET is superior in that much of the code has already been written, which speeds up development, but also limits(to some degree) the creativity of the designer. My experience with .NET has been wonderful as well. However, the lack of IDE's for the other languages doesn't make them less viable solutions to web applications, they simply make them less productive.

In my job, I have seen some of the fastest and most secure web applications and services running on JSP. I have also seen a lot of them run on ASP.NET and php. After a couple of years of developing Web services, and Web applications/interfaces, I am fond of Asp.net. You're right, Microsoft has gone out of their way to make it very easy for applications to be deployed, and highly scaleable. However, Microsoft has a major flaw, that they've had from the very beginning: Compatibility. Sure, asp.net runs well on just about anything you throw at it, but try setting up asp.net on a linux server, or any other server other than a windows server. Microsoft doesn't play nice with the technology community. However, you can run an apache web-server on IIS for Windows server 2003, with little hassle, and on the apache server, it's a breeze to setup php, jsp, Coldfusion, even Ruby. But when a large portion of web-servers on the internet utilize linux/apache combo's, asp.net while enticing, is not an option for them.

For example: http://www.chase.com Chase bank's web interface for their customer's bank accounts is all jsp. It is very secure, and quick. Chase bank has built a lot of their applications on a java platform because of it's reliability. They have web-services that use the jsp to send text messages notifiing you of changes made to your account, you can also receive e-mails, and phone calls. You can also specify under what conditions you wish to receive these alerts. Even in the Chase branch locations, the web interface that they use to get rate quotes, and access information is all done in jsp. And chase is no small bank.

Another reason why asp and the microsoft .net framework are so popular, is because they have much more interactive support. Microsoft wants it's technologies to be used. If it doesn't make them easy to understand, develop, use, and implement, then why would someone pay, when JSP, and php for example, are free? Microsoft has to do this to be competetive. ASP.net pages wouldn't be half as easy to develop without visual web developer or visual studio. Think of designing without intellisense, you'd have to remember every property of every asp.net control in order to be as efficient without the IDE. Java, and PHP are open source-type technologies, and open source-type technolgies are what shape the future, they take the cutting edge technology out of the elite's hand's, and put it into the hands of every day developers like us.

I need to dig up this article I read a while back where someone was complaining that they wrote their website with RoR and didn't scale correctly and poorly. I'm not sure how I feel about RoR yet, right now I am beginning to learn PHP and MySQL.

Back
Top Bottom