Do Odd Sticks Of Ram Work OK

alexpattison

Baseband Member
Hi

Does odd pairs of ram work ok because i have upgraded my computer from 512mb to 1.5gb by adding an extra stick of 1gb pc2700 extra value ram i baught for another computer from ebay but the original stick is pc3200 and made by elixir, but the pc does't seem to run like it has 1.5gb of ram even with a fresh installation of xp. it runs a little faster but not as much as i thought it would.

Also would 1.5gb of ram be ok for vista ultimate edition as im planning to upgrade it soon

Thanks

Alex

yes it should work fine. The thing is, since the new stick is slower it is forcing the old stick to work slower too. All ram sticks need to be the same speed.
But you should see a big improvement in games since they really take advantage of the extra ram.

Sometimes they do, and sometimes they dont. Alot of it will depend on your mobo. Ive done a few tests with this before where ive used odd sticks in certain boards, and you just dont know whats gonna happen. Thats why i always use matched pairs, at least that way i know i wont have any problems.

Also, Vista Ultimate requires a lot more ram, I would recommend Home Premium unless your running a big business.

im running vista ultimate on 2.0ghz cpu and 1gb ram fine i can even play counterstrike highest settings

Back
Top Bottom