eMachines by Gateway are "buyer beware"

soulfire77

Beta member
eMachines used deceptive language in reporting the amount of memory (RAM) my computer has. (eMachines model # W3107)

I bought a computer that advertises "512MB DDR SDRAM" on a sticker located on the front of the computer. It makes no mention of the fact that 128MB of that memory is "borrowed" by it's intergrated video card, making the computer's total "usable" memory only 384MB. I did not realize this problem until after my warranty expired, because I did not encounter a software conflict until recently. I contacted eMachines customer service, only to be given a sales pitch on a new $150 PCI-Express video card. Instead of addressing the fact that they are diliberately misleading people, I was treated as if I simply had no idea what I was talking about. Common sense would dictate that anyone buying software would check the requirements against the sticker proudly displayed on the front of their computer, would they not? The sticker makes no mention of the video card being intergrated or sharing the system's memory.

I made several attempts to fix this issue.I was told by a costumer service supervisor (Joseph_GWER9033) that I "do not have an issue". And, again, by another supervisor (Jesse 72273) that eMachines are "buyer beware" products and that I "should have known better".

Yeah, well integrated graphics has that problem. Every computer manufacturer that doesn't have a dedicated video card does exactly the same thing.

If you want that memory back, get a dedicated video card with it's own memory.

yep it isnt juust emachines that does this 98% of oem sellers do this , i have seen some smaller comapnies saying the vid is integrated and borrows from the main ram
this happened when i went into a local comp store i overheard the salesperson telling the customer that the ram is shared with the graphics on one of their pre built systems i guess it should be tyhat way , what i would do is research what exactly is in an oem comp before buying so you 100% whta you are getting

tis the same as selling a 2.4ghz dual core as a 4.8Ghz it is wrong but they have the small print to cover their asses

My first computer was a emachine 366 mhz, 64mb ram, integrated video and such... It was the worst computer i've ever had the misfortune to work with haha, it was only 28 dollars after rebates though.. can't complain there :D. Yeah, that sucks, but that's how companies make money, more than likely they were hoping you weren't knowledgable enough to figure out that it's really only 384 mb RAM, which really today is a bit absurd.

There is 512mb of ram in there though, the integrated graphics take some. Thats how they all are.

That's why we suggest building your own.

dont feel bad, my brother only has 256 megabyte ram lol i have 512 which is enough for me :)
i have 512 in all my systems , am getting another 512mb for one of my comps to have 1gb but all in all for what i do 1gb would be the max i need

Back
Top Bottom