Ideas

A sticky on this would of kept it all neatly in one conversation, the fact that this forum is extremely cliquey, and it does make it hard for new members to be involved.

I don't think this site has reached a point where it can be said to be "extremely cliquey" but it is heading in that direction as the number of active user steadily decreases.

Before you feel that I am having ago, I am not, I am not blaming anyone, I am just saying that there needs to be some sort of longevity to the site to encourage members to keep posting and stay around. I personally don't believe that more avatars, custom sigs etc, are going to help, but.....

now that i do agree with. avatars and custom sigs will not solve our situation.

also image sigs too, people like them, they say more about a person, (when done well) than any text does.

of course I know that out of those three things written above that none will be implemented, they have all been discussed before, but for the point of this thread...

that's the kind of stuff people like to see, that's what will bring people here to stay, at the moment, this place is looking rather outdated when compared to other forums, there is no good vibe to being here.

of course, I don't expect the things I said to be implemented, (as I said they've already been discussed and turned down!), but something does need to be done if this place is going to grow into a much larger community.

I agree completely, i think if folks used image sig's here you could avoid the problem of this place being used as a hosting site if you just could upload a sig by URL and make the dimensions pretty small for sigs about like these.

DavidLindon.jpg

Brookfield.jpg

I even made one for ole Furby!
Furby123.jpg

But i also agree with you Root about how things like that could never be implemented perfectly...there would always be Asshats who would abuse it....but i think Contests would be really cool.

I actually laughed at that ahyoka, it's really cool man!!!

You even put a picture of furbys in there!! That's so funny.

That ones quite good too, but i just love mine!
By the way im typing this in my bed from my mobile-it owns!

What i have noticed is their are a select few members who help immensely on a regular basis, they should be acknowledged and appreciated more.
To encourage new members such as myself you could ask the select few to set a task or quiz, where members tare there brains out for fun trying to solve the puzzle/riddle, what ever they see fit, then you could put daily or weekly winners in a title thread where they can be seen by cf members, this might encourage a bit of friendly competition between members.
You could even award rep points as a prize for winning something.
May be ask new members to write a little script about themselves not putting personal details just something that other members might relate to which would hopefully spiral into a INTERNET friendship that grows bigger by the day
These things might help to a relax members more, as they become more knowledgeable of the people their talking to.

There are some problems associated with the ideas that you're suggesting, since more than likely people sign up for the forum because they aren't very familiar with computers (there are plenty of exceptions) they won't be very inclined to participate in such events as 'quizzes', besides, no one comes to forums to get quizzed, we get enough of those at school, not to say your idea doesn't have merit. I really think the main thing that's keeping new members from staying around is just the fast paced society, people use forums to get answers to questions, they don't usually stick around to answer others unless they're genuinely interested. So, that being said I definitely agree that we should add or update some things in order to attract more members.

Btw, ArrizX did you make up that 40 number yourself? or is there actually a way of finding out?

That ones quite good too, but i just love mine!
By the way im typing this in my bed from my mobile-it owns!
get a psp :)
them sigs are really smart. i mean david could even make a simple template which we could use to create our own so they are all simular. not sure if it would attract new members but it would keep the existing ones happy and having these sigs would make it easier to find a specific posts because atm i try to find a post quickly by remembering peoples avatars.

There are some problems associated with the ideas that you're suggesting, since more than likely people sign up for the forum because they aren't very familiar with computers (there are plenty of exceptions) they won't be very inclined to participate in such events as 'quizzes', besides, no one comes to forums to get quizzed, we get enough of those at school, not to say your idea doesn't have merit. I really think the main thing that's keeping new members from staying around is just the fast paced society, people use forums to get answers to questions, they don't usually stick around to answer others unless they're genuinely interested. So, that being said I definitely agree that we should add or update some things in order to attract more members.

Btw, ArrizX did you make up that 40 number yourself? or is there actually a way of finding out?

I was only trying to spice it up a bit, but i agree with you that new members tend to join get what they want then go, everything you said makes sense. i was thinking in the lines of freindly fun,thats where you social lounge comes in. off course the main issue for the forum must still be to help people :)

How about weekly contests of some sort?? I know a lot of forums do various things for contests.

Simple things like Photoshop, photography, riddles, trivia, etc.
One of the forums im a member of have a poll every three months. You get an award for best member, best advisor etc. The members vote for you and then the winner gets a little badge with the award on.:)

Now and again they have competitions for books etc aswell.

Back
Top Bottom