Ideas

Yeah, because of the nature of this forum, they ask a question and then thats it

yes but what about the members that stick around to help people this forum wouldnt be what it is today if people didnt stick around as p[eople wpuldnt get questions answered or anything . maybe for custum sigs and avatars have limit where you must have X number of posts then you are allowed custum sig and image in avatar cos people arent gonna go to the trouble of making loads of posts to scre around and we have enough mods to deal with theese things , or if necessary add more mods to deal with avs and sigs

How about weekly contests of some sort?? I know a lot of forums do various things for contests.

Simple things like Photoshop, photography, riddles, trivia, etc.

How about weekly contests of some sort?? I know a lot of forums do various things for contests.

Simple things like Photoshop, photography, riddles, trivia, etc.

that would be great.
And also some of the suggestions are nice, a new skin would definitely be great.
As for splitting hardware&software, I don't think it's a good idea. Lots of people come here for help, how to fix some error or other stuff like that. Well it can be both because of hardware or software problems, so I don't really see the need to split them.
If you don't want all posts to be in those 2 sections you could always try to make people post stuff at the correct place, there are lots of stuff on general hardware&software which have their own place, lots of stuff about operating systems, quite a lot of cpu stuff etc.

edit: Arrizx, I'm not even going to ask why you have cascada on your computer.

maybe a joke of the week

and for splitting sections as arrzix said but add a section called help where people can ask their "this is broke blah blah blah how do i fix it ?"

Whilst I agree there aren't many active members, unlike other forums which have 50 on at a time, I quite like it as it makes CF a small community and everyone knows each other. Some competions and stuff sound good though,

yeah if we have like that many active members people start to segregate into their own little comunities i tink maybe a few more members but dont forget we are always getting new members it is the long standing ones that are actually part of the comunity , the my comp is broke how do i fix it people are not really part of te comunity cos they come and go

welcome back furby.
i think things like this will definately encourage people to post. atm most people come here for help then bugger off. they need an incentive.

Personally I think its none of those that will attract and maintain new members. I do agree that the sections need reworking, and I do feel that the hardware and software sections should be split into two separate sections.

However in all honesty, and I have been coming here for over a year now, the reason we do not keep new members, is the repetivity of the subjects that are continuously asked.

For example, how many threads have there been about who like's vista?

A sticky on this would of kept it all neatly in one conversation, the fact that this forum is extremely cliquey, and it does make it hard for new members to be involved.

Personally I also feel that the tempermental nature of the forum, its unreliability as a website is also conducive to keeping new members or not, no one wants a website which is done half the time you try to log on or is frustrating to post on because it gives errors etc.

Before you feel that I am having ago, I am not, I am not blaming anyone, I am just saying that there needs to be some sort of longevity to the site to encourage members to keep posting and stay around. I personally don't believe that more avatars, custom sigs etc, are going to help, but.....

Its also recognisable that this is a very much younger user base, as opposed to other forums so it may encourage others to stay longer, and its not an insult its just a statement of fact...

What i have noticed is their are a select few members who help immensely on a regular basis, they should be acknowledged and appreciated more.
To encourage new members such as myself you could ask the select few to set a task or quiz, where members tare there brains out for fun trying to solve the puzzle/riddle, what ever they see fit, then you could put daily or weekly winners in a title thread where they can be seen by cf members, this might encourage a bit of friendly competition between members.
You could even award rep points as a prize for winning something.
May be ask new members to write a little script about themselves not putting personal details just something that other members might relate to which would hopefully spiral into a INTERNET friendship that grows bigger by the day
These things might help to a relax members more, as they become more knowledgeable of the people their talking to.

Back
Top Bottom