Question About Computer Control Programs

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
I just got back from brake, and it turns out that the school has installed a new computer watchdog program. This one you can't exit out of apparently :p.

Anyways, this thread is not about "hacking"[/quote] any particular computer watchdog program, but rather an amusing inherent flaw they share; that I would like to validate.

Anti-spyware programs would most definitely consider a watchdog program a form of spyware. So, couldn't a person run a spyware program and potentially delete/quarantine it? Or if that doesn't work, (you'd probably get a 'file cannot be deleted/quarantined' error), a lot of anti-spyware programs give you the option to scan in safe mode, before you ever login as a user. This way the 'spyware' program doesn't have time to hide. Wouldn't this in affect get rid of the watchdog program?

If so thats kind of amusing. With very little computer know-how you basically destroy the purpose of the most-likely very expensive program.

---------------------------------

FYI: I'm not sure if 'watchdog program' is the official term for it, but I like it. What I am refering to when I say 'watchdog program' is any software that allows another user to remotely monitor, and potentially control another computer with the same software installed on it.

But if the program is integrated with windows to the point where it runs when the computer is no logged in, but on, then it woln't work.

But if the program is integrated with windows to the point where it runs when the computer is no logged in, but on, then it woln't work.

Well the point of the option on Spyware programs to run at startup, is that it runs before any other program has the chance to startup.

if he can get into safemode and an admin account, he could disable it in MSconfig so it wouldn't start up with the comptuer at all. But just getting into an admin account proves hard with most schools i've heard of.

PS my school's admin account is "admin" with pasword "PenGuin". Don't ask how i found that out :)

Well the point of this thread isn't to get around any specific program, more so an inherent flaw. One that I will be testing tomorrow :p

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

PS: Easiest way to get an admin account is a physical keylogger on your tech support guys computer :p. On april fools I did that and used Dameware Utilities to control all the computers in the computer lab. Tech guy thought it was funny. Principal didn't :-/

lol atleast your tech guy knows what he's doing. Ours just puts so many filters on our network to speed it up that it is now half as fast.

lol atleast your tech guy knows what he's doing. Ours just puts so many filters on our network to speed it up that it is now half as fast.

Haha! I'm friends with the tech guy, over the summer I worked with him (as in actually got paid to work with computers :-D) to figure out a way to upgrade all the computers to XP; and some other network problems we were having.

Back
Top Bottom