Hard Dive Transfer-PLEASE help

well . . .
i used XXclone and it successfully changed the D: drive to C: but when i would try to boot it would get hung up at the start up screen, with maxblast it just wouldnt boot.
so i guess my question is how do i make a drive "bootable"
Have you set it to boot from the new drive? Is the OS definately copied on the new drive? If it is, then try removing the old drive and making the new one your primary master.

If that doesnt work then try the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands, from the recovery console.

Why do you need it with vista I thought it had its own image back up program built in

Only on Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.............vast majority of home users have Vista Home premium.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

Available in Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions, Complete PC Backup and Restore is a comprehensive, image-based backup tool to help you out of a tight spot if you need to recover your entire system.

Have you set it to boot from the new drive? Is the OS definately copied on the new drive? If it is, then try removing the old drive and making the new one your primary master.

If that doesnt work then try the FIXBOOT and FIXMBR commands, from the recovery console.

can i do that with a ms dos floppy or do i need the cd?

i've seen homepremium with the backup feture. But if you boot off of a ghost CD it will work with vista, i've done it before.

I have the feeling your using IDE drives, not SATA so i'm going to ask if the jumpers are set properly.

On ATA drives, i've found taht having both as masters, with the one being copied to being on the same chain as the CD drive (whit the CD being slave) works great, that way you do not (normally) need to do the fixboot and fixmbr.

i've seen homepremium with the backup feture. But if you boot off of a ghost CD it will work with vista, i've done it before.

Vista HP has the backup feature but not the imaging feature............that's what I'm talking about. For example..........you can't install a new HD and image the OS onto this drive. You need the higher buck versions of Vista to do this.

Ghost will not work with Vista............Norton even says so.
You can boot with the CD and recover the system to a previous XP image (this has nothing to do with what OS your running)..............but you can NOT create a Vista image.........this is why I made the Vista compatibility comment above.

i'm not talking about making an image, but a pure HDD to HDD copy. I've done it. Since its run in a dos-like enviroment, the kind of HDD your copying doesn't matter. It could be just data, or mac or whatever.

okay so if i made an image or copy or whatever of my HDD 1 and put it on HDD 2, how would i then make it able to boot off of?

Back
Top Bottom