Upgrades= lots of questions

ace777

Fully Optimized
ok look at sig new upgrades are
1 gig of RAM ( i have never had over 256:D FINALLY!)
5200 FX video card
I know the card is kin of old but best I can do with a 310S gateway at that price.
1. 250 is recommened power supply I have 200 will that harm it?
2. I have a spare fan I need to mount on the video card how can I do this ( just want to for fun)?
3.Have A 800 series AMD that the thermal paste was removed from, is it safe to put new paste on top of the old.
4. are all power boxes universal? I know there are 20 and 24 pin plugs wut do the volts,amps,and watts matter when they are plugged in?
-thanks ( sorry for all the questions):p

200 PSU probably won't harm it, but you never really want to gamble with PSUs...
Scrape off the old thermal paste, then apply new Arctic Silver 5 on it
In your case, pins shouldn't be a problem.

On a side note, PLEASE do not get the FX5200, that is by far the worst piece of hardware that i've had the misfortune of working with. I have one lying in my Dimension 3000 right now, and I haven't turned on that computer on for at least half a year. Please reconsider and get a different video card, it really isn't worth the price tag.
A Radeon 9250 would be a nice alternative if you only have a PCI slot available.

Well its a little late, I bought it today and I already opened the box is there any way to return it? I bought it at Best buys.Also, do I have to have a cord to run from that vid card to the motherboard?

Nope there isn't a cord to run the card from the mobo.
If you bought it's fine, I mean, it'll get you by on most games, it just won't be optimal performance. Just don't expect too much eye candy on most of the heavier games. Haha, I bought my FX5200 from Best Buy too like.. three years ago, that was the first piece of hardware I ever bought, really costly, 100 dollars! lol

so no returning, I'm ok i paid 80$ kind of high but no time , had to get one for a comp repair/upgrade.Thanks for all the help.

Yep, no problem, haha at least you didn't have to pay as much as I did, I remember being so excited when I walked into BestBuy, I thought I was all that because I was about to buy hardware and upgrade my computer by myself lol, I felt real stupid when I asked them for a PCI-e version only because I didn't know there was a difference between PCI and PCI-e, but that's the mind of a 13 year old for you :D

It's a good workstation card, but I think you're better off with a 350W PSU, IMO.

Well this computer was really meant for office, so maybe its an ok combo.Besides ANYTHING is an upgrade from a MX 4000:D . How can you tell the diffrence between if its workstation and gaming?

Back
Top Bottom