problems with new build

haaken15

Beta member
I just finished putting together my new comp, and no sooner did i ge it started i began to haev problems. I need to get it to boot from a cd, but it doesnt seem to e able too. I have 2 cd devices, one dvd-rom and a cd-rw drive. Currently my mobo(K8N Neo/sli) only detects the dvd-rom. i changed the cable to see if that was the problem, and it did nothing. If i try and get it to boot from the cd, it just hangs there as if it were trying but doing nothing. Any hel is greatly apreciated

Did you set the jumpers properly on the CD and DVD drives? you will want one of them set as master, the other slave, unless you have both set to cable-select. I wouldn't recommend cable-select, i never seem to have good results with that.

To see what your drives are set as, you'll need to refer to thier manuals/drawings on the drive. I cannot tell you for sure how to set it up as all drives ahve different jumper setups for each setting.

[edit] also, is the IDE cable in properly? by that i mean is the right end connected to the motherboard, and the other end (wiht the two connectors close to eachother) hooked up to your drives? not sure if that would make a difference, but its a thought.

^^ yes i missed that. It really doesn't matter as much anymore as motherboards are getting smart. However by convention Optical drives are put on the secondary IDE channel.

Iv been chekiing to make sure that the ide cables are all in. I tried the jumpers on cable select, and it still ony found one drive. Ten i changed it to naster/slave, and it didnt see either of them then.

Do you have to make changes to the bios typically in order to get a new build to boot from a cd? im pretty much in the dark here. This is my first build that iv done my self, and my dad is out of town and i dont have any help, lol.

now when i try and boot frm the windows cd, it ives me teh ntldr missing error.

idk what to do now. any help is apreciated

Before imove to help with the ntldr thing, i just want claification that the optical drives still do not work. Or did you get them both to detect? If they still don't detect, are you able to try a different IDE cable to hook up the drives with?

it depends on your bios if you need to change it to boot off of cd first, but it should have no problems since there is nothing on your hard drive.

i got it to work, sorta. I changed it to were i just have the cd-rw hooked up. I tihnk it has sometihng to do with the way the jumpers are set, but im not sure yet. Also, i used i different windows xp cd, at the same time, so im not sure what the real fix was. im just hoping everything is gonna work right and i get both drives to work.

If its only detecting one drive, then its your jumpers. You know that both drives are working coz you have had them both going. Set the jumpers correctly one on master and the other on slave (there should be a picture on each drive for the settings)

Back
Top Bottom