Recording TV?

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hey,

I've finally got my Media Center (budget lol) PC set up and working perfectly. It does everything except viewing and recording TV. I want to get a decent tuner card, as in one with an MPEG2 Hardware Encoder, which I know takes the stress off the CPU but will it be enough for an old Celeron 2.4 (running at 2.6)? I would really like this to top off the cake, but can't afford a new cpu etc, so am wondering if I would get decent results recording with a Celeron?

Something like this I was looking at..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116620

Of course I think i'll need the PAL version being in Aus.

Matt

Haupauge is supposed to be the best at TV tuners. I've been looking at that very same card for myself.

I think that would help, but i don't now if it will help enough. not knowing what your budget is, i can only ask if a low-end Pentium four could be a consideraton? I'll throw this one out there for you to look at, not bad for $74 processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116197

How much RAM do you have as well? from what i've heard its best if you have 1GB, but i'm just going on hear-say there. If you don't have 1 GB ram, then consider taht instead of the processor, as i've seen media center run decently off of a Celeron.

Thanks for the replies...

The PC has 768mb of RAM (1x 512 and 1x 256)...Yeah I was looking at P4 processors, but problem is it's a socket 478. Ah what the heck may as well throw it out lol. It runs MC perfect but I think if I wanna start doing the TV recording etc then it's too dated.

Worst thing is I can't find any Hauppauge cards in Australia, not one!

Thanks,

Matt

EDIT: I remember when the celeron was my main PC and I had a cheap tuner card in there (no hardware encoder and only analogue reception) and the celeron really did struggle recording, thats why i'm a bit iffy.

can you find any KWorld cards? they're not the greatest in the world, but still decent quality cards. Or is that what you currently have installed?

Yes, i saw taht one too, but i thought that would be too far out of budget seeing how low the first one was.

It looks nice, but its still a shame that you cannot get the haugppauge cards over there... Do you have any close friends in America or Europe that could order one and send it off to you? might cost you a little more that way, but atleast you'd be getting a good quality card.

[edit] thats not to say that what we have both linked are not good quality cards. its just i know haugppauge, and i know that they work as advertised.

Back
Top Bottom