Need some help, my comp has problems.

cory551

Baseband Member
Alright, I have been after this problem for almost a year now. I am pretty knowledgeable with computers, but I need some serious help here. Ok, so my specs are AMD athalon 3500+, gefore 7600gt, 1gig of ram, 250gig harddrive, yeah. So, when ever I play games, and games only, my computer freezes shortly
for roughly about 15 seconds, and the sound shutters and then it will go back to normal. It seems the more time I put into the game, the more often the freezing happens. I was wondering maybe is my CPU too slow? My video card is pretty much up to date, but if you have a link to a new update please post that too. I am really confused and I have enough money for a new CPU if I need it, but post up and suggestions you have.

Thank you.

Hmmm, and this only happen while you're playing different games? They do use more resources than conventional applications. Try monitoring your temps of the CPU and GPU while playing and see what they read. I don't know if it's a heat issue or what, but check those out.

Can we get specs on your powersupply? the problem might be an inadequate power supply since you're only experiencing these problems when your computer is under heavy load.

Hmmm, to tell you the truth, I don't know my heatsynk specs. It's just the stock one I got from ibuypower.com. I know I am in idiot for buying from there, but whatever. Should I go buy a new heatsynk?

The power supply is 400W, stock with my case.

Not right now. Not unless we can confirm abnormal high temps running on your CPU. I'm sure your video card is fine because those stock coolers are excellent, unless you OC the crap out of them. Does your video card have a separate power cord that hooks up to your main power supply? If so, it's drawing extra juice from it, kind of like what kchi55 was referring to.

Sounds like your having Thermal issues.

Google SpeedFan, download it, and give temps to us and well tell you if thats the problem.

If temperatures are a problem, give us the socket # of your AMD CPU and i will tell u a good replacement heatsink to buy.

If possible, trash that PSU and buy one from a name brand, such as Antec or if you have the $$$, Hiper.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Ok, I downloaded and installed SpeedFan, and here are my readings while playing GTA:SA

So far everything is ok, other than my Core.

The readings go as follows:

Temp1: 32C
Temp2: 40C
Temp3: 33C
HD0: 33C
Temp1: 40C
Core: 52C - with a flame symbol

There might be a heat problem, though 52 C isn't TERRIBLE for a CPU.. and to answer ISOwner the 7600GT does not have an extra power cord, only the 7800+ requires a power cord as far as I know for the 7 series at least. Was this a problem also when you first bought the computer? or did it arise later on? Maybe the thermal paste went bad, or it could simply be a matter of cooling, which could be solved by a better heatsink.

Update:

Temp1: 36C
Temp2: 41C
Temp3: 34C
HD0: 33C
Temp1: 40C
Core: 55C

Yeah, it got worse over time since I had my computer, but now its been worse than ever. The core temperature seems to rise more and more as I play the game, it still has the flame symbol. Is it just the heatsink? After long periods of time playing any game, it will freeze for like 15-20 seconds, sound shutters and goes crazy, then goes back to normal.

Also, if I turned the speed percentage up on SpeedFan, would that help at all?

Another update, I just finished playing and my core was at a temp of 60C

Any suggestions now? I need serious help here.

Back
Top Bottom