How would my PC do with vista?

compguy91

Fully Optimized
I'm considering upgrading to vista home premium and have some questions:
1. How would my PC do with vista? I have a dell 5150 w/ P$ 630 @ 3.0GHZ, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB HDD, DVD RW drive, ATI Radeon X300SE video card (plan to upgrade that soon)
2. Should I buy the upgrade or full edition? I've heard that I can't reinstall the upgrade edition if I change any PC components, that might be trouble since I want to upgrade my PC later down the road
3. Is it worth buying? I'd like to hear some opinions on it and see what people think. Would it slow down my PC too much or is it a lot better than XP

Thanks,
Troy

I did and it said there weren't any issues and said my PC could run vista. I'm just curious as to what you guys have to say :)

Well, if you want to upgrade, by all means, go for it. Just take note: Al the features HOme Premium has will take lots of resources.

But, for normal operations, like browsing, and a bit of gaming, that will go fine.

I'd definitely consider upgrading video and MAYBE ram before you go all out on Vista, the X300 is a pretty weak card from what I understand, and it's usually preferable to have 2GM ram, but I don't know if the missing 512MB will pose much of a complication in your overall enjoyment of vista. Chances are, it won't.

Well I'm going to go buy a copy and upgrade thanks for the help guys!

I think I should be fine, I'm not planning on doing really any gaming with this computer aside from a few light games. I'm going to wipe the drive clean and install my copy of XP home OEM and then install the upgrade over that so everything will be fresh.

I tried the RC1 of vista and surprisingly my card handled the visual effects with no problems at all. I am planning on upgrading to something else soon though, just because I want something with a little bit more power. I was surprised at how well my system did with vista and that was the RC, I'm thinking I'll be fine but I'll let everyone know how it goes once I have it installed.

Thanks for your help,
Troy

The X300 has around the same clocks as an Nvidia Geforce 6200ish.

It will run good, but it might be choppy at times. I'm wondering for me too, but my Soundblaster Live is making Vista to lock up.

Actually, you should buy the Full version. Some people tend to upgrade their PCs like that:

They boot the CD, install Vista without entering the CD Key. They select their version and then, after install, they put the CD Key in and activate it.

Back
Top Bottom