Series of upgrades...wich first?

rahxephon1

Baseband Member
Well im planning to upgrade me dell e520 for next gen video games soon to come and i was wondering if these upgrades will be sufficient, wich power supply to buy and wich parts i should buy first because im upgrading in stages.

windows vista
2.8ghz pentd ---> e6600 c2d 2.4ghz
256mb ati 1300x --> 8600GTS 256mb(highest ive seen) (8800 doesnt fit in e520 case :( )
1gb ram --> 2gb at 533 mhz
power supply...no clue wich to buy..dont know shit about psu and my case has the power cord entry point turned to the right its not flat like most psu.
(if you dont understand what i mean just tell me)

will this system run games such as crysis and other soon to come graphical masterpieces?

If you have any ideas on diff upgrades please tell me just keep in mind that my budget is not 2482498204820$ its about 1000$ maybe a little bit CND dollars...i buy off tigerdirect.ca if you have any suggestions

thank you very much....i dont know what i do without you guys and this site.

533 is DDR2. Make sure the motherboard will take it.
e6600 c2d is dual core cpu. Your single core board is not built to accept it.
Need to add a new motherboard to your list.

A Pentium D is a dual core system.

I'd get 2GB DDRII-667 or 800, to tell you the truth. Then, the CPU. The PSU would be next. To save you the hassle, just get a 650W PSU. Your PC store guy will understand that. The more you put in the PC, the more wattage it takes. That's the critical feature to look at.

Next, get your GTS and at last, Windows Vista.

^^ pretty much what he said. I too would get vista last simply to make sure all your hardware is working properly.

Honestly, with how much upgrading your doing, wouldnt you just be better off to save up, and just buy a new comptuer? That might prove more cost effective in the long run.

If his motherboard supports Core 2 Duos, why would he need an entire system?

if it does then no he wouldnt need a new system. Its just with how much he's upgrading it might just end up being more cost effective to get a new one.

I don't see a point in spending tons of money to mix old and new parts. By mixing, he wouldn't get the full experaince/use of his newer, better parts untill everything is finished.

Well, if you think for a moment, it would cost him more to buy a new system rather than upgrading his. If he's got a P5B, then it's ready.

Get the RAM first, you'll get the biggest noticable performance boost with that.

Back
Top Bottom