Could not open key....?

computer_unsure

Solid State Member
Hi,

I am trying to install itunes + Quicktime so I can download tunes to my ipod. It almost completes the installation and then I get this message:

Could not open key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your supposrt personnel.

Anyone even understand that? I don't see what access I would need - it's my home pc...

Are you the admin/owner? rather then a limited user?

If you are running as owner, I've got one further thought:

Try restarting in safe mode, and logging in as administrator. this may have
a blank password.

You will need to start additional serivices--I think maybe just the Windows
Installer serivce, to do the install in safe mode, but it can be done, I
believe.

You will need to start additional serivices--I think maybe just the Windows
Installer serivce, to do the install in safe mode, but it can be done, I
believe.

I just checked, I am an administrator. So how do I start in safe mode - I don't see that option when I go to re-start. Sorry - I have NO IDEA about this stuff lol

I tried pressing F8 and nothing happened. Is it the same with Windows XP? It boots so fast and the only 2 options were to press DEL ot F12 - none of those gave me a safe mode option. Gee looks like I'll never get sons on this ipod!

I dont think its a windows installer problem otherwise it wouldnt start the installation in the first place.

The first question arises here is that whether you are installing iTunes or infact, any software under administrative privilege or not. If you are not an administrator of your computer(meaning that you didn't login onto your computer as a user who has administrative rights), then no way you can install iTunes. Try checking this first by going into Control Panel->User Accounts.

It goes right through the whole process - 13 or so mins to download. Then when I go to run it, it goes to install the shortcuts etc and right at the end it has that error msg....

It might be worth checking for viruses and spyware as some of them can affect that registry key.

Yeah I'm definately an administrator on this pc, I set it all up when we bought it (even though I know nothing! lol) and I just checked before in the control panel, under users, and I am an administrator. Thats why I don't understand why it says I have insufficient access - I can't have anymore access than I already do...

So next I guess is that I check for viruses. We had that anti-norton (I think thats what it is) virus software but that has expired now, so I guess I'll have to buy the full thing (it must've been a trial) and see what happens.

Dont use norton its a piece of sh*t. Download a trial of NOD32 from www.eset.com. Also run some spyware software aswell, and run hijackthis.

Back
Top Bottom