Format gone horibly wrong

eapro

In Runtime
I had to format my brothers laptop but all I had was a Gateway Recovery backup disks that I made when I bough my other laptop. I have been using it to format all my computer over the years without a problem until now.

For some reason it bails out on disk 3 and gives me a blue screen with the following:

bla blah...

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

blah blah....

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007A (0XE11E6338C0000098, 0XBF8BE7FA, 0X0EADB860)

*** win32k.sys - Address BF8BE7FA base at BF800000, Datestamp 3d6de5e5

_________

now I doubt that there is a way to correct this because my previous partition has probably been deleted already. Is there a way I can use the windows from my other computer on it? I don't have the money to buy a new OS now. Thank you.

What was the previous OS on it, and what is the OS you are trying to put on it?

Looks like an error I get when trying to XP on a Win95 machine :p

the previous OS was also xp....ohhh I just remembered the it was xp professional edition, the one on recovery disk is home edition. If that's what's causing the error, is there anything I can do about it?

Do a clean format.

Boot from disk, delete the partition holding Pro, and install Home.

Youve got a big problem then because your recovery disc will only have the drivers for xp home buit or for compute,r the only way forward now is to install a full version of xp pro, unless he has a back up partition on another drive somewhere,

Do a clean format.

Boot from disk, delete the partition holding Pro, and install Home.

Will that still work on a different laptop as the chances are his back up disc will be a streamline version of xp so not sure if it will be compatible with a different laptop, but its worth trying nothing to loose now hes wiped his drive

Is the laptop your trying to format a gateway? If its not then thats probably the problem. The gateway discs your using are for gateway computers. Sometimes they might work, but most of the time you will get problems.

Also worth mentioning that the STOP 7A error can be caused by faulty RAM etc so it might be worth running memtest on it.

It could also be your CD, especially if it stops at the same place on disc 3 all the time.

raffaz, yeah, it's a gateway too but I've used the recovery disks even on non-gateway PCs with no problem.

I will try what ArrizX said.

Guys, my head is going to blow up.

I can't boot off of cd, i can't F8, everytime I boot it goes directly to Gateway Recovery wich fails everytime.

This is a lap top so no A drive to boot from.

I could try booting from my memory stick (removable devices) but I can't find a program that will let me create one. They all ask you to insert a floppy.

Please, please give me suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom