Thermal Paste

Momokogo

Baseband Member
My cpu (Intel core 2 duo E6400) has been running really hot (idle around 50 c) and i think it might be that the thermal paste is old. would applying new thermal paste make for better temperatures?
If so, do i have to scrape off the old paste first?
or could it be something else causing it to run so hot?
The heatsink came with it, and it's pretty crappy, but it still should cool it off lower than that...

Thanks

My cpu has been running really hot (idle around 50 c) and i think it might be that the thermal paste is old. would applying new thermal paste make for better temperatures?
If so, do i have to scrape off the old paste first?

Thanks

yes putting new thermal paste would help alot. dont "scrape" it off. try carfully wiping most of the big parts off then wipe the rest wit a cloth(something made for glasses so it duznt leave anything behind) with alcohol.

alright thanks.

just put a little alcohol on the cloth and wipe it off, the put the new paste on?
how much paste should i use?

use about the size of an un-cooked grain of rice. Those stock coolers for the core 2's aren't that bad, people are able to have their Core 2 idle at like 40 with it.

alright thanks. i noticed the heat when i overclocked a little and it hit 70 pretty fast. i turned it down to defaults (which are sucky, it runs at like 1.20GHz) and it dropped down to like 55.

Yeah, the stock thermal compund on the intels do suck, but when stripped of their compound, and replaced with Arctic silver they are very good. For a stock cooler that is.

Back
Top Bottom