How C# got named...

Daeva

In Runtime
I just learned a fun fact the other day that I thought I would share. I don't know 100% if it's true but i'm working on verifiing.
First, there was C. The basic language that C++ and C# were based on.
Then to name C++, they(being microsoft's programmers) being the complete bonified geeks they are thought: "Gee, what could we call the new version, we want to give it a name other than C V1.0.5 or CV2... Hey, in programming, what happens if we do x++;... why it gets 1 added to it. Thats what we'll call the new language." Now in keeping with this same tradition, they didn't want to call the new version c++++, because people wouldn't say it. So what they came up with is just rearange the plus symbols.
What would happen if you put two of the pluses below the other two? Well, it would be C#(or C pound), but C Pound sounds dumb, so C#(C sharp) is the name. Nerds...

Well I always thought it was c sharp because '#' in music is the sign for a sharp note...I know in computers and phones its pound though

Yeah I always thought it alluded to music as well. Though the "C++++" explanation sounds reasonable too...and possibly more likely considering it was total geeks who named it.

Yeah, it was mentioned in a few programming channels in IRC.

It's not true though. As c++ ++; wouldn't be c#

If you did a ++ operator to c++ (after converting it to decimal), you'd end up with c+,

But also a # symbol is actually a "sharp" symbol in music so that makes a little more sense that they called it C sharp not just because it sounded cooler.

£ is pound...
# is sharp, or hash.

did you know that the reason the first language was called C is because it was the third iteration of trying to actually produce a language (that's to say languages A and B never made it to production/release). -or at least that's what I was told once.

£ is pound...
# is sharp, or hash.

did you know that the reason the first language was called C is because it was the third iteration of trying to actually produce a language (that's to say languages A and B never made it to production/release). -or at least that's what I was told once.

Back
Top Bottom