help a noob

hockeyknight

Solid State Member
ok first off id like to apologize in advance for any typical stupid noob questions i might ask......
i have an old Emachines p4 2.4Ghz...its pretty much ancient!! about 5 years i think.. anyways not to long ago i upgraded the ram to 1.5 gigs got a atiX700 pro graphics card, platinum sound card and a 200gig HD and a dvd/cd burner....what im looking to do is basically build a new computer from the upgraded parts i have....i dont even know if i can do this but im thinking i need a new MOBO and processor for sure and then whatever else i need.....im looking to keep it under $500..... any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

what speed it the ram, becuase that will determine if you should still use it. And what do you want the comp to be able to do, gaming? what games?

im pretty sure pc3200???? how could i check without pulling it out?? also i play a few games like Half-Life but imainly it will be used for video/audio edidting and a little bit of 3d modeling

if it's pc3200 you should look for a skt939 board and get an opteron 175 x2 processor.

ok if i go with that will i need a new case or power supply also??? and will i be able to run the operating system currently on my HD?

You'll be able to keep the same OS that is running on your HD, as for the power supply, since it's an Emachine I'd recommend getting yourself a better powersupply, 400-500W should be more than enough to support the hardware that you specified.

if it would be worth spending the extra $150 for some new memory i could....what would be my best option then as far as ram, processor, and mobo for under say $600-650......also i need a agp slot for my video card..just somthing to keep in mind...

ok i just downloaded that cpu-z program and found out i have 512mb of pc2100 and 1gig of pc3200........is that bad to mix and match???

Back
Top Bottom