switch or router?

One word of warning about using virtualisation software.
They typically install additional network adapters
You can see them from Control Panel>System>Devices.
If you add in two many, and/or delete the new ones, you
will have to reactivate windows.

Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

You can setup a virtual network with visualisation software such as VirtualPC (available from MS for free) or VMWare (i personally prefer this as it allows other OSes and not just MS) These are ideal if all your wanting to do is learn the OS, they basically run an OS inside your normal OS, the benefit being that if you screw something up, your real OS will still be working fine.:)
Ahh yes, i have actually used both VirtualPC and VMWare. I just never heard anyone call it virtual network.

I said you can setup a virtual network lol, i never called it virtual network:)

No probs mate, is that no good for what your trying to do then?
Well I installed Server2003 on VirtualPC, havnt really had time to play with it yet. Is there anything that I should try out? Like I said im new to networking.

I dont like VPC as much as VMWare, but you should be to set extra machines with XP etc and use them as your clients on VPC, that way you will have a working network to play around with.

I dont like VPC as much as VMWare, but you should be to set extra machines with XP etc and use them as your clients on VPC, that way you will have a working network to play around with.
thanks! good idea. :)

Back
Top Bottom