SATA Question.... Please Help!

compaqnigg

Beta member
I need some help here. I'm really confused. I bought a new hard drive. It's a SATA 3gbps hard drive. The problem is it didn't come with a SATA connector so I have to buy one. Now since I put a good investment on the hard drive I want to make sure I get all the performance that is possible.

Now I need a SATA connector that is angled at 90 degrees (it's the only kind that will fit in my computer). But my question is, what kind of SATA connector should I get? I've researched some of the cords and I'm so confused. There's SATA II, SATA 150, SATA 300, etc... I just want a cord that is meant for 3gbps and is 90 degree angled.

Can you help me with my woes? Thanks.

3gbps means you have a SATA II hard drive, so I would go for that, don't really understand when you say 90 degree cord, but you definitely want a SATAII connector.

yes, like Kchi said, Sata II is the 3gbps (Sata 300). Kchi, when he says 90 degree cord, he means one that is permenantly bent at a 90 degreen angle at the tip, so it kinda looks like a capital "L" where the long part is the cable, and the short leg is the connector.

By getting a SATA 2 cable you should be good to go. i do not belive there is any physical difference between Sata 2 and the orginal, so if you need SATA 1, it will work.

Thanks for the help! But I have one more question. How can I figure out if my motherboard supports 3gbps hard drives? I never checked when I bought the drive cause I know the 3gbps is backwords compatible. But I'm still interested in knowing if my PC can handle the full thing.

Hi, my 1st post here :)

I suppose u can just check if your mobo supports SATA2. If it does then you are ok ;)

quick way of finding out is simply by the age. if your comptuer is about a year old or less, i'd be willing to put my life on the line that it is 3gbps.

However, to be sure, look at the manual that came with your system. if nothing in the manuals that came with your comptuer mention your SATA ports cabilblites, google your motherboard model, or if it is a pre-built like a dell or gateway, google the model number.

Back
Top Bottom