My computer is so noisy and hot

Devils6258

Baseband Member
My computer gets so hot that in the winter I dont bother with turning up the heat I just turn my computer on. Is there any way to fix this? It has 3 fans. 2 in the back and one on the side. It feels like the ones in the back are blowing out and the one on the side is sucking in. Is this right? Also the top of my lcd monitor gets pretty hot. Is this something I need to worry about?

Oh also my computer has overheated and shutdown on me twice in the past 4 years. Both times were in the summer and summer is coming up so I'm getting concerned.

it's good to keep the computer on the floor where the 4 to 6" layer of cool air is, plus a well vetilated case will help also. it's good Compman said to keep the fans clean of dust build up.

My specs are
3.0 ghz
512 ram
nvidia FX 5200
Windows XP

I have two fans in the back of my case, one on the side and, one inside.

These are the results I got from a program called SpeedFan

My cpu is 45C

Fan1:29 rpm
fan2:0 rpm
fan1:2782 rpm
fan3:0 rpm
fan4:0 rpm

Very confusing I dont really trust this program. I can visually see that all my fans are running but it says that only one is?

My specs are
3.0 ghz
512 ram
nvidia FX 5200
Windows XP

I have two fans in the back of my case, one on the side and, one inside.

These are the results I got from a program called SpeedFan

My cpu is 45C

Fan1:29 rpm
fan1:2782 rpm
fan3:0 rpm
fan4:0 rpm

Very confusing I dont really trust this program. I can visually see that all my fans are running but it says that only one is?

The fans need to have sensors in order to display the speed. Accordng to that one fan is also broken.

Anyways if you have a P4, yes it will run hot and you can expect this to happen.

p4, Pentium 4 processor

The kinda processor that you have
They tend to run really hot.

But you don't have to put up with it DJ. There are things you can do.
1> Clean the heatsink fins and the fan. Canned air works wonders. Hold the fan still with a little stick so it doesn't get spun and over reved. Bad on the bearings.
2> Any opening in the case that leads to the outside world that doesn't have a fan parked in it (besides the front intakes) should be taped shut. Air leaks are not your friends.
3> If there are not fans in the front drawing air into the case, get some. Passive intakes don't allow enough air to be drawn in.
4> Turn the side panel fan around so it's sucking air out of the case or take it out and tape up the hole from the inside. Right now with it turned to draw air in, there's a short circuit with the air flow. It draws air in and it goes right out the back. There's not enough negative air pressure to draw air in from the front intakes. See #3 above.
5> Tidy up the wiring. You'd be surprised at how much wiring blocks good air flow. If you can't stealth it, form a bundle and secure it with tape or cable straps. If you have flat ribbon cables, fold them over and secure the fold with tape. Don't crease the ribbon like a fold of paper, you'll break the wires. I would strongly advise you to get all round cables. Being round the air goes right around it.
Now I know I'm going to be in the poop for doing this but enough of the typing this stuff out. Check my sig and go look at the hardware mods I've done. Goes in to a lot more detail.

If i take out the side fan (which is my strongest fan) there wouldn't be any fans sucking air in. Thats okay?

Back
Top Bottom