More than 4gb RAM -64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nextstopearth

Solid State Member
I'm new to building computers, and I was thinking about setting up a 64 bit computer. To my understanding, to take advantage of 64 bit computing you would need over 4 gb of ram. But in looking at various motherboards I'm not finding anything with more than 4 slots for ram. However some boards with advertise as something like this: "...up to 4gb of ram(8gb -64 bit). So what exactly does that mean? and how can I set up a computer with more than 4gb of ram? Thanks for any advice.

What operating system.

Ill assume XP since Vista is fairly new still.

To make this simply said, XP, no matter what edition, can only recognize up to 4gb ram.

However, Windows Sever edition 2003 I believe will recognize up to 64gb ram.

My question is how to physically equip a computer with that much ram. As for the operating system - I haven't thought about it that much, but I assumed Vista and possible partitions of others...

edit-

I thought there was also a 64 bit version of XP?

I thought there was 2gig sticks out there but I couldn't find any and eventually assumed they weren't made. I guess I'll have to go out a search more.

Mattie how can you sit there and hand out bogus bull crap as useful information to a rookie? That's a load that you can just slap in 4 2gig sticks and have 8 gigs of ram. You get that much if you run a board made to handle that much ram. Arrizx is right in one manner. The os not only has to be able to cope with the ram and make use of it but the board has to be built to take over 4 gigs.
If you have nothing useful to say, say nothing.

Mattie how can you sit there and hand out bogus bull crap as useful information to a rookie? That's a load that you can just slap in 4 2gig sticks and have 8 gigs of ram. You get that much if you run a board made to handle that much ram. Arrizx is right in one manner. The os not only has to be able to cope with the ram and make use of it but the board has to be built to take over 4 gigs.
If you have nothing useful to say, say nothing.

Excuse me for handing out info. Sry I didn't include the fact a motherboard must be able to support 4gigs/8gigs etc. SO htf is it bogus info? I can just slap in 4X2 gig sicks in MB and have 8gigs of ram. I highlighted the part that makes your post redundant. So why don't you GFY there's no reason to through a hissy fit over that.

what i'd like to know is why none of you have realised that there is no way he'd need all 8 gigs to utilise everything. At most he'd need two. 8 is way too much overkill right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom