Cleaning bottom of C2D

browserjoe

In Runtime
about two weeks ago was applying thermal paste to my c2d, and accidentally got some on my fingers ad some of it rubbed on the bottom of the CPU. luckily it only covered one or two slots. so i rubbed it all of until it was almost invisibly even in bright light with a kleenex.

now once in a while I will get a blue screen of death maybe every 36-48 hours... but I keep my comp on all night so it can download torrents.

so i cleaned it off again with a kleenex

then i booted it up and got a blue screen of death during startup, im posting on this comp right now... 2 hours with no blue screen of death...

so CF, is there any kind of liquid or alchohol i can buy to safely clean the bottom of my core 2 duo without it causing problems?

I really have no idea what else could be causing this... all my specs are perfect...

580wat hiper psu (high performance brand)
Gigabyte GA mobo
8800GTS
C2D@ 2.13 not overclocked yet
2B 667 ram
lots of hard drive space

temps are cool, max CPU temp i ever got was 41C...

oh another thing... when in heavy gaming, i hear that noise you will hear if the CPU is overheating or the fan failed. yes, the one that kills your inner child...

It starts about 10-15 miniutes into gaming. you will hear a beep or two lasting about 1 or 2 seconds apart... then it goes away for awile (abnout 20 secs) then eventually it happens more and more until someone will complain...

I have no idea whats causing this

well, if anyone can help that would be great

i believe it is safe to just like put your cpu into rubbing alcohol or something. its not conductive or anything and it will probably clean it off.

Just use a little rubbing alcohol and clean it off. Try and not be so messy with the thermal paste next time....lol

I think the kleenex is your problem here. Use a coffee filter or no lint clothe next time then see if it works.

lol how do u get theremel past on the bottem
its prob fucking with the connection
do wat they say try to clean it off and how much ram do u have?
2B 667 ram
2 gig?

2 gigs

oh and btw that buzzing noise in gaming is gone for some reason...

and i havent got a BSOD yet... and ive had my comp on for about 10-12 hours now...

Use some rubbing alcohol. Be careful with the thermal paste next time, the stuff is non-conductive so it just isolates the connection between your CPU and socket.

Use some rubbing alcohol. Be careful with the thermal paste next time, the stuff is non-conductive so it just isolates the connection between your CPU and socket.

Probably a good thing its non conductive too. With those pads in the Core 2's case it could have easily shorted them together.

SHIT...theyre back and this time its on the XP STARTUP SCREEN

they come every time i start up windows and so i cant get into windows
SHIT
SHIT
SHIT

I only cleaned the part where the thermal paste was though, maybe its on another part?

and will reinstalling windows fix the problem? I have no important data on there yet except some schoolwork

and will installing ubuntu on it fix it any???

uggg.... nobody i know has another c2d so i cant switch the processors and see if its 100% the processors problem
SHIT
SHIT
SHIT

Back
Top Bottom