I want to upgrade cpu and graphics card

jcon891

Daemon Poster
I built a new computer about a year ago, and i slacked off on the processor, so I'd like to upgrade. I would also like to upgrade the video card soon.

My system specs currently:

-CPU: AMD Athlon 64, 2015 MHz (10 x 202) 3200+

-Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)

-Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce4 SLI, AMD Hammer

-RAM: 2GB Corsair RAM

-Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (256 MB)

-Disk Drive: Maxtor 6Y160M0 (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)

-Operating System: Windows XP Home

My budget:

CPU: $300-350 USD
Graphics Card: $250-300

I would like to know any suggestions, please find products that will be completely compatable.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Well i'm not sure about the actual sockett for your Asus board. I'd recommend going with the highest AMD you can find unless you want to switch to a 775 sockett motherboard & get a core2duo. As for the graphics card I'd get a 8800GTS Extreme 320mb. Check out newegg your can find them from $279.99 for the cheapest to $329.99 for the most expensive. Just look at the clocks the low end has a 500mhz memory clock while the more expensive have up to 570mhz I believe. DX10 support & 96 pixel pipelines/shaders you can't beat that card for the price and its right in your budget unless you want to make it another $65 then go with the 8800gts 640mb version.

its a 939 socket, and i think ill go for the 640mb version 8800GTS as i'll need more video memory for college. could you suggest a specific amd processor.. i am not good with CPU's. i can actually go anywhere from 300-400 USD

Well, you're really restricted right now since you're still on skt939. 939 uses DDR memory and to be most up to date you should probably consider DDR2 memory now, which would require a DDR2 capable motherboard. If you want to keep the motherboard though, I'd just get a Opteron X2, since skt 939 is quickly phasing out.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103584
That's one of the better processors that are currently out for AMD skt 939, but you really should consider starting over and getting a new mobo/memory that supports DDR2 and probably Core 2 Duo.

I agree, Core 2 Duo is the way to go. If you absolutely have to have a socket 939 processor then go with the opteron.

I dont think i will have the money left over at graduation to pay for a motherboard, ram, video card, and processor... I really hope i will, but I have other things to pay for.

If having a newer motherboard is going to make a huge difference in the long run, i have no clue what i am going to do...

My computer will need to run all new games, as well as create and render high polygon movies and images for school.

Yeah in that case I'd definitely consider just saving up money until you can afford an entirely new rig.

Back
Top Bottom