Cant install XP on a P series lifebook ???

cnl83

Baseband Member
I installed a brand new 80 Gig hard drive on a Lifebook P1120. I set the pc to boot to usb cd rom. I put the windows XP pro cd in, and I cant get it to boot to the setup screen. I tried optimized defaults and to no avail it still just says "no operating system found". Any ideas on what to try next?

Does it attempt to check the CD drive? It could be the CD, is it an original or copy? Does the BIOS support booting from USB? Have you checked for a BIOS update? Have you got a floppy drive on there? If so then you can download a set of XP floppies to boot from, so that you can get the CD working.

It doesnt seem to check the CD Drive. I set the USB cd rom as the first boot device. I dont have a floppy. The Windows XP is fresh out the box.

Does the CD drive definately work? Have you tried plugging it into a different USB socket?

Yes it deffinitely works. Right before I changed the hard drive I did a repair on windows. it booted to the USB drive just fine, and then the Hard drive completely went out. Now that the new drive is in, It doesnt boot to it. I did try to plug into a different socket.

Right, so it was working before you changed the HDD, and now its not? Its possible that you may have knocked something loose inside the pc or even damaged the mobo in some way, were you wearing an antistatic wristband, or did you ground yourself before you worked on the computer?

why are you booting off of usb cd? do you not have an internal? if you have an internal CD rom, try using that.

does it even try to start reading? do you hear the CD drive moving inside and sttempting to read the CD?

Back
Top Bottom