A Question and Some Advice

sanka

Daemon Poster
Q1: I might get a Raptor. However, they are all SATA-150. Will this affect me that much?:confused:

Advice: I have ~100 dollars. Should I get:

1. A raptor, as posted above.
2. A new sound card(I'm using integrated right now)
or
3. 1 more GB of RAM. I'm running 1GB right now.

Well?

I would get an extra gig of RAM....considering Vista and a lot of the games coming out now, 1gb is like having 256mb with XP, just not enough anymore

Matt

I would get an extra gig of RAM....considering Vista and a lot of the games coming out now, 1gb is like having 256mb with XP, just not enough anymore

Matt

It's like whatever Microsoft recommends, just double it lol. 1Gb does run fine, but I'll bet increasing the RAM does make it faster. I forgot what the specs are for XP--is it really 256MB minimum RAM? That's bad.

I've got quite a bit of cash saved up, but just thinking about my car payment always makes me cringe on buying stuff for my PC. I love a 2GB boost to go along with a new Raptor drive, but I'm running ancient stuff right now. Hate having to spend all that money on an obsolete system!!

Minimum specs are 64mb for XP, there are 2 types of specs, there are minimum and recommended. Recommended specs for XP are 128mb RAM.

I would get the RAM, ive got a few raptors myself, but you will get more bang for ya money from the RAM upgrade.

Damn, I really couldn't imagine running XP with 64mb of RAM...I've got 1gb in it now and struggle at times lol

Matt

Damn, I really couldn't imagine running XP with 64mb of RAM...I've got 1gb in it now and struggle at times lol

Matt
Yeah, what people forget though, is that the 64mb of RAM is only for the OS, they forget that their gonna need extra RAM for each application their running.

Il give you a quick example. If you install office 2003 aswell, then you need 128mb minimum + 8mb extra for each application that your running from office, as you can see, the minimum specs have jumped way up now, and thats just from adding office. :)

i use to run XP with 256mb ram no problem my games even went fine :D

definately should get the ram though. i just got 2x512 sticks of A-Data ram and you can really OC the crap out of that stuff

Back
Top Bottom