OMG, OLED monitors are finally coming out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
This is like the best thing I've seen in monitors and TV. I remember there were several posts about OLED screens last year on here, but it's made into a reality now. Can't wait to see this used on a computer.

For those too lazy to click on the link:

http://news.com.com/Sony+OLED+TV+is+a+hit+at+Tokyo+show/2100-1008_3-6175405.html

TOKYO--Sony said on Thursday it plans to start selling ultra-thin TVs using organic light-emitting diode technology this year, aiming to become the first to market with a TV using the promising next-generation display.

Several companies are investing in OLED technology because it can produce bright, colorful images and does not require a backlight, as do liquid crystal displays (LCDs), allowing for a thinner panel. OLED panels are also said to be energy-efficient and good at reproducing fast-moving images.

At a display forum in Tokyo, customers, suppliers and even rival TV makers turned their backs on 50-inch and bigger TVs to throng before Sony's tiny 11-inch OLED TVs.

"LCD and plasma displays look faded in comparison," said a forum participant as he fought to take a picture of the new TVs.

OLED displays are already used in digital cameras, cell phones and other devices with relatively small panels. But cost and technology hurdles have so far prevented them from being mass-produced for use in larger equipment such as TVs.

The OLED TV to be launched this year will be made by ST Liquid Crystal Display, a joint venture between Sony and Toyota Industries, Sony spokesman Daiichi Yamafuji said, declining to give unit targets or a likely price.

Sony has invested aggressively in LCD technology and is now the world's largest player in the LCD TV market. It makes big LCD panels in a joint venture with South Korea's Samsung Electronics.

"It won't be easy for OLED TVs to replace LCD TVs, but we would like to turn OLED TVs into a big new business," Sony Executive Deputy President Katsumi Ihara said in a speech at the display forum.

The Nikkei business daily reported earlier that Sony would begin by mass-producing about 1,000 of the 11-inch OLED sets a month--a fraction of its LCD TV business--and would aim to keep their price within a few times that of existing flat TVs.

"OLED sets are very expensive, and we mean to begin first by marketing the TVs as a status symbol," said Sony's Kazuhiro Imai, a senior manager of the company's TV and Video business group. "We will see where the business goes from there."

Ihara said Sony slightly exceeded its target of selling 6 million LCD TVs in the business year ended last month, and reiterated a target to sell 10 million units this year.

Other companies investing in OLED displays include Seiko Epson, Canon, Samsung and a joint venture between Toshiba and Matsushita Electric Industrial.

Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida said Thursday the company hopes to make larger TV-use OLED panels at the joint venture, Toshiba Matsushita Display Technology, by 2009, taking aim at the $35 billion flat TV market, which is currently dominated by LCD and plasma display technology.

Lol, I didn't even notice there were two of the same threads!!!! I don't know what could have happened. Must be a glitch because I received no error message on my side while making the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom