Comp newb. Need some advice.

imperium1

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I need some advice that, hopefully, somebody can help me with.

I purchased this desktop replacement laptop about 6 months ago.
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3010&review=dv8000t+Review
It is the HP Pavillion dv8000(t?).

Up until recently, I've been able to run just about any game I wish with little to no problems at high graphic settings. Unfortunately, that time is coming to an end.

As for my question: My friend said these laptops were not upgradeable but I can't find any information on whether or not they are. I would like to upgrade so I can play newer games at high settings and still have a good frame rate.

Would a graphics card be all that I need, or would I need some more things? If so, what? And if it is just a graphics card, what would be a good one to put in here?

And most importantly, is this damn thing upgradeable?

Thanks again in advance. Much obliged.

ok as far as i knw there isnt a laptop yet where you can add a new graphics card , you can upgrade the ram, add more and you can upgrade the hard drive depending on laptop but you cant change graphics cards and i dont think you can change the processor

anyway there comes a time with every computer when it cant play the latest games on high settings
but you may want to do some system optimisation , ie clear junk of the hard drive , virus spyware adaware scan and defragment the hard drive and look at the startup programmes

Oh okay. Thanks.

I know to do all that stuff. Maybe it has been a little while though...

Thanks for the into man. I appreciate the fast response. It might be time to start building a desktop, I think.

Do you know if using my 42" Sony Bravia LCD TV as a monitor would be just as good as using a regular monitor? If I didn't have to spend a couple hundred bucks on a monitor that might help persuade the Mrs. to letting me get a new comp.

urm it is possible but i dont know if it is a good idea i wouldnt know ,if it was me i would , wait for peoples advice i am sure someone will be able to help you out in that department if you are building a desktop you can ask around lots of people will reccomend parts/builds too you too

Well, if you have the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 video card in yours, then you could upgrade it to the GeForce Go 7600, but I really don't think the minor performance increase would be worth the expense.

You could use your Sony Bravia as a monitor for your comp. Weh I bought my LG 42" HD-LCD, they had one hooked up to a comp at the store and it worked great. All you'll need will be a DVI to HDMI cable to go from your video card to the LCD. Some of the newer video cards have a HDMI output already.

I personally think a 42" LCD TV would be a strain on my eyes after a while but that could definitely work out, and as far as upgrading GPUs on your laptop, I don't think that is possible or safe at the very least.

if your a serious gamer you should consider getting a desktop pc (even though you might not want one). much better for gaming, much cheaper, easier to upgrade, etc. just save your pennies and buy a decent enough one. laptops just dont cut it

Yeah, my friend talked me into building my own so I think I am going to sell my laptop and put that towards my new desktop.

I looked at newegg and was surprised at a lot of the low prices they have for parts so I think I'll start there.

Is there anything you guys can recommend or certain things to avoid like the plague?

Again, thanks for all the help. Much obliged.

There really is nothing to avoid, some things are just better than others, but nothing is absolutely terrible.

Cool cool.

I am a little confused on processors and the PCI-Express thing too. How do I know certain motherboards have a PCI-E spot?

And with processors, what is the different between Duo-Core and all that stuff? Is a 1.66 Duo-Core better than a regular 3.0?

Back
Top Bottom