A couple problems

connect417

Solid State Member
Ok, so I have an emachines T5212 with Windows XP Media Center. Okay first problem, my sounds not working. Ive checked everything, but when I click on the little volume speaker in the taskbar it says "There are no active mixer devices available". In the control panel when I go to the sounds it says no device detected. But, it still makes sounds so its not my speakers, well if Im trying to actually listen to something it wont but like when the error message comes up for the sound in the taskbar it makes the anoying bud-up type of sound. Also when I go to use my Windows Movie Maker it says "Windows Movie Maker cannot be used because the required audio hardware cannot be found on your computer" WTF? Second, when I start up my computer is says something about an illegal DLL, what is that? Third, sometimes when I open I.E. it looks like the old style, like the squared off toolbars and stuff like on the older versions of Windows. Its really wierd. What could be doing that. Ive run all my security scans. Defragmented, did disk cleanup, even restored it back to about a week ago. I havent installed anything lately. I havent changed anything. The only thing was about 2 weeks ago I switched to a new wireless modem for my DSL, its a 2wire modem, but I still have the computer hooked up to an ethernet cable, its not running on wireless. I got the wireless for my Xbox. Any help is awesomely appreciated

try updating your sound drivers, this might solve your sound problem. Its possible that that dll is with the sound driver problem (if there is a problem with them) so i wouldn't worry about that quite yet.

not sure about your IE...

try updating your sound drivers, this might solve your sound problem. Its possible that that dll is with the sound driver problem (if there is a problem with them) so i wouldn't worry about that quite yet.

not sure about your IE...

I know this sounds really stupid but, how would I go about updating my sound drivers? :eek:

don't worry about it, i've seen stupider. I had a customer at work not know how to use a mouse....

probally the qickest way to do it, if you are running on the on-board sound (a sound card taht is built into the motherboard, not connected through a PCI slot) put in the driver CD that came with your system. Most of these CD's will organise their drivers by type when it autoruns. just click the "sound" or "Audio" linky if it has one and it should guide you through installing new drivers.

If you have a sound card that plugs into a pci slot, that should have come with a CD. Ususally sound cards in big-name computers (like emachines, dell, hp etc) use Sound-blaster sound cards. The driver CD for this would have "Creative" and/or "SoundBlaster" somewhere on the CD. If this came pre-installed on the computer, then it may be on the main driver CD for the system.

if you don't get either of those links, then i'll need to do some more searching for you which, unfortunatly, i'm too tired to do right now. Also, if any of this doesn't make any sense, give me a pm and i'll try to explain it better in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom