High CPU Usage!

brockwed

Baseband Member
Hey, I just installed a new motherboard and upgraded to 2GB of RAM from 512MB. Any Way, I had to do a clean install of Windows XP and my computer seems to be really sluggish, and CPU Usage is very high or will go up to 100% and then dip to 5% rapidly. Any tips on how to get rid of this problem, i have nothing installed on the computer, thats why it seems really weird. :confused: Thanks for your help!

No i cannot get the computer online right now its really weird. It says that I have a excellent connection but when i click to go online it says im not connected... any ideas on that one?

What mobo and video card do you have? If you have a 6800GS, there have been problems with CPU usage and this card with various systems, me included, on my A8N32 SLI Deluxe.

If you've only just done a clean install and havn't got any files on it, I would try formatting and trying again, just to make sure there wasn't a problem with the installation...then, try taking out the new RAM and see what happens..

Matt

My graphics card is an Nvidia 6800 Ultra, and my MOBO is an MSI P800 < I think... The computer is so sluggish It feels like I have 128mb of RAM not 2gigs!

I found some hardware specs under the system summary and this shows up, is it normal? I have 2 gigs of RAM and it says:
Total Physical Memory 2,048
Available Physical Memory 1.58GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.85GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.22GB
Page File Space 3.85GB

Is all that normal, I just cannot figure out why my computer is so sluggish!

it could be 2 reasons
bad install reinstall windows and try again
and 6800 some times can couse usage problems

Try going to task manager and looking at the proceses. If any of the svchost.exe is using alot of memory then try reformatting. This has happened to me and i just reformatted and reinstalled xp.

Its not the graphics card beacuse it worked fine. I'm justing going to try to reinstall windows. Thanks for your help. I'll be back if the problems continue

Back
Top Bottom