Will my computer last through college?

also i have noticed that yesterdays gaming components e.g. pentinum 4 ht are still used in budget machines today so in the future say 5-8 years core 2 duo will be used as a budget components and a newer better line will take over maybe quad core

Even though it's currently happening, it's rare for yesterdays processors to be used in budget machines. The only reason the P4's are still being is because theirs soo many of the low end ones sitting around. I don't even believe Intel is producing P4's anymore.

Will my computer last through college?
assuming you don't drop it or smash it up I imagine so!
last through college?
at the rate technology is going right now, you'll definitely need a new rig before you finish off college. lol i put together the rig in my comment a year ago JUST when the 3800+ X2 came out, i was happily touting around my top of the line X2 processor bragging to my friends how mine cpu/gpu was better than theirs... now my friends have a 7900GT and a conroe 6600e to compete with..
I completly disagree. what on earth has the graphics card got to do with how well he's going to be able to write reports and dissertations?

Last yes, but it will be severely obsolete.
I'd doubt that it'd even run the latest programs in 5 years.
Practically obsolete isn't exactly obsolete though is it?

I had an obsolete computer whilst I was at uni, (pentium 2 350Mhz, with 128 MB ram), when I got that machine the onboard graphics were completly shot and the USB didn't work, (it's been the subject of a lightning strike), but with a new PSU and a graphics card, (a very old PCI graphics card) it worked fine
I had XP running on it, complete with office for doing assignments, on top of that I also had Autocad, pro engineer, multi-sim (electronics circuit simulation software), PSPICE visual studio, and Matlab running on it.

after I upgraded my own computer I set that up as a server in my house, it now runs, windows 2003, with IIS and apache, Active Directory, exchange, and well as several MSSQL and MySQL databases (it's not my test server for when I'm making things).

yeah it will physically still working hopefully , i have a dell optiplex gx110 1ghz from the year 2000 here and it still runs xp perfectly well as i have upgraded the ram and the hard drive
this is exactly the point I'm making here, old gear will still work perfectly fine.

Yeah, and in before college I will probably be getting a low-end laptop and some desktop upgrades. I want to upgrade my motherboard soon to a 680i maybe so I can do some over clocking. Maybe hit a lil under 3ghz. And I will probably get more ram this summer or fall. A 2gb stick. So over time I will be upgrading. I wouldn't be doing heavy gaming either in college, probably homework. Is anyone else going into computer engineering?
starting with what you already have upgrading will be the cheapest way to go.

bear in mind what I've said above though.
the computer that you have now will more than likely be fine to run the latest versions of office and programming tools etc now and in five years as well

I wouldn't say that your machine is a high end gaming rig now, so it sure as dammit ain't going to be a high end gaming rig in five years!
but it will still be there and it will still be ticking over. working just fine letting you get your work done.

yeah if you just want it for college work than that spec is going to be absoloutly fine for about 5 years to come i reckon , as long as you can run win xp on it you will still be secure as well

also where i live near manchester uni a lot of the students use older computers like the one i have because they live in rented accomodation , if someone kisck their door in and steals their computer they havent lost an £800 gaming machine just a £50 oldish computer which dosent cos them that much to replace

my computer from over 10 years ago will be fine. it can run windows 98 or xp with some tweaking + office. if you were gaming it would be a different story but luckily your not. im sure your pc will be fine

yeah at the mo your pc has high spec parts in it so it will last a good while still and if you arent gaming there will be no reason t get a new pc in the next 3 years unless something breaks
i have a 4-5 year old computer that is still good , all i have done is upgraded it bit by bit like a 120gb hard drive , more ram and a dvd burner and she is still good for my school work

last through college?
at the rate technology is going right now, you'll definitely need a new rig before you finish off college. lol i put together the rig in my comment a year ago JUST when the 3800+ X2 came out, i was happily touting around my top of the line X2 processor bragging to my friends how mine cpu/gpu was better than theirs... now my friends have a 7900GT and a conroe 6600e to compete with..

lol the 3800+ X2 was never top of the line.

To be honest w. you pretty much all of our Pc's are obsolete, I don't think any of us have the topest end computer...

Thats what I thought, it would be fine for ofice and things like that, but no high end gaming without upgrades in the future. But my parents think I wil need a different computer for college. I spend money on it, but I know I will be using it through most of college most likely.

To be honest w. you pretty much all of our Pc's are obsolete, I don't think any of us have the topest end computer...
a computer is pretty much obselete as soon as you build/buy it , look at this , if you buy a core 2 duo , in a few month the newer cooler core 2 duos are coming out , and after that a new line will be coming out , all that matters is that the computer still performs the tasks you bought /built it for .

U cud spend a fortune buying pc parts trying to be up to date, its crazy. As soon as ur pc stops doing the things u want it to do, ie playing games above 40fps or whatever then its time to upgrade, as long as it works for what u want it for its fine.

Back
Top Bottom